february 15th

On Friday, Mia and the prefect team were given the whole day out of lessons in order to give them plenty of time to set up the Valentine's Day ball for the evening. She and the prefect team, as well as some of the art volunteers armed themselves with balloons, streamers and confetti and spent the day working to pin up the countless balloons they had ordered, as well as draping some shimmering fabric across the windows and setting up tables and chairs around the edge of the hall. Mia worked hard to make sure everything was in its proper place, and by the afternoon, everything was ready to go for the evening. She congratulated the team of equally tired team of volunteers and let them go and rest before the evening. Mia brushed the front of her dungarees down, as they had become covered in dust and glitter over the course of the day, and as she was leaving, Cassie appeared in the hall.

"Woah Valentine, this is looking good." She commented, her voice echoing in the empty hall. Mia walked over to where she was standing.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I thought I would come and see you before this evening because I still have rugby practise before the ball." She gestured to her outfit, which was the usual school rugby uniform. She looked at Mia's mildly panicked face and laughed. "Don't worry, I'll still have plenty of time to get ready afterwards, the ball doesn't start until seven anyway." She pointed out.

"Well, in that case, I guess I'll see you at seven then." Mia said, and Cassie smiled and pulled her into a hug.

"I can't wait to see you in that dress again. I'm sure you'll look incredible."

"You too, now go; I don't want you to be late for practise." Mia said, breaking away and shooing Cassie out of the hall. She laughed.

"Ha, as if I care about being late for rugby if it means I get to do this." She said, and swooped down to plant a quick kiss on Mia's lips and dashed off grinning, before Mia could react. Mia shook her head but smiled, feeling slightly giddy that Cassie was as affectionate as she was. Max had never been that affectionate with her, and it made her heart soar.

Mia went back to her room, where Angie was sat in a towel, her hair still wet and she was painting her toes. She didn't look up as Mia walked in.

"Can I borrow your hair straightener?" she asked.

"Sure. It's in the drawer next to my bed." Mia replied as she opened her wardrobe to pull out her dress and shoes for the evening. Mia pulled her hair out of the bun it had been all day and detangled the curls with her fingers. After looking in the mirror for a bit, she eventually decided to pin the front part of her hair back and add a few small flower grips to them to create the effect of a crown. As she did her hair, Angie sat and straightened her own hair until it was tamed from its usual messy state. They sat together getting ready as Angie blasted 80s tunes from her phone and danced around the room as she applied her makeup.

When 6:30 rolled around, Mia and Angie were dressed and ready to go. Angie was wearing a short black dress paired with thing high black boots, while Mia was wearing her floral red dress and a pair of silver heels. After taking a picture of the two of them for Mia to send to her mother (to which her mother responded with a lot of heart emojis and a 'so proud of my baby!') they headed down to the hall. There was already a large crowd of students waiting to go in, which Angie and Mia navigated their way through until they got to the front and slipped into the hall.

As it was dark now, the strings of lights that Mia had hung up were now on and the little lights lit up the hall, casting a soft glow on the whole room. The music playlist was already playing quietly, and the prefect team and their plus ones were all sat waiting when Mia and Angie got in, and as soon as they noticed, they all jumped up.