39

"I'm gonna walk away quietly and go mourn my dead kids! Later!" you heard Monokuma announce.

"...It's over," you mumbled. You felt Kokichi hesitantly unwrap his arms from you. With more movement, you were able to wipe away your tears and attempt to calm your breathing. Although, it wasn't as if anyone else was doing much better than you.

Shuichi had a grave look while he cried, Himiko was still crying and sniffling, and Tsumugi was sobbing excessively. The tears rolling down her face were exceptionally fast.

"Dammit! Why did it turn out like this!?" Kaito was sweating, hand clenched into a fist.

Actually, there is someone faring better than me, you thought. Maki had a placid look on her face, as always, even though she was glaring at Kokichi. "Hey, Kokichi...why don't you tell us now? What is the secret of the outside world?" she asked him. "If we don't know it, then we won't be able to understand or accept it."

Tsumugi quickly wiped away most of her tears to shout at the boy. "I...can't accept it either, Kokichi! What is the secret of the outside world!? What kind of secret would push Gonta that far!?"

You nervously looked back at Kokichi. He was looking down, face covered in a shadow.

"Kokichi," Kaito grumbled in a warning tone, "explain yourself to everyone and—"

"I don't...want to..." he muttered. Something was off in his tone, you just knew it. When he looked up, madness swirled in his widened purple eyes. His lips had formed a crazed grin.

This isn't the Kokichi that was crying on my shoulder just a few minutes ago.

"I don't want to, stupid-head! Ah-hahahaha! Oh man, did you fall for all that fake crying!? You're so dumb! I would never cry for Gonta!"

"F-Fake...crying?" Tsumugi repeated.

Like the new Kokichi...?

It's not fake, it's not fake crying... you repeated mentally. Not even Kokichi could pretend to cry and make it look this real...

"If I said the actual truth back there, Gonta would've been reeeeal mad!" Kokichi chirped. "That would've interfered with the game, so I simply lied to calm him down... See? As long as you lie for a good purpose, right?"

"What do you mean, what really happened? Why did you make him do that!?" Shuichi interrogated him.

"Obviously, so it wouldn't be boring! I gave Gonta an incentive, 'cause I thought it'd liven up the game. C'mon, think about it. If I actually wanted to save everyone, like what Gonta did... I wouldn't have betrayed Gonta. You should've realized that."

"Th-Then...why did Gonta—"

"Nishi...nishishishi..." The hysterical look returned. "Who cares about that idiot!? I wanna enjoy this game filled with suspicion and betrayal from the bottom of my heart!"

This isn't the real you, it can't be... Stop acting like this already!

"I am the supreme leader of evil, so it's obvious my personality would be twisted. The more you suffer, the more I enjoy it. There are people in this world who spread grief and misery for no reason than the thrill of it! And I'm one of those people. Nothing pleases me more than inflicting pain on others!"

How do you know that this isn't what Kokichi was like all along...?

"I...just know it," you muttered to yourself. It almost felt like you were trying to convince yourself into believing it entirely.

"S-Seriously... Who the hell do you think you are?" Kaito asked. Sweat was rolling down his paled face.

"So...for your own entertainment, you sacrificed Miu and Gonta?" Maki asked.