six: sunburn

SIX: sunburn los angeles, 1990's

SIX: sunburn
los angeles, 1990's

ROSY'S EYES were glued to fourthgrade's sleeping body when ray and the rest of the boys walked in. she ignored the bell that went off as she watched his stomach that was littered in bruises rise up and down from under his shirt.

"yo rosy! rosy!" ray yelled to the girl who payed him no attention until he waved his hand in front of her face which made her instantly jump up from behind the counter.

"when did you come in?" she nervously asked the boys who all looked at her with raised eyebrows. "literally right now. like deadass two seconds ago." ray said with a small smile before he spoke again, "you good?" he asked. the girl just nodded her head and went back to unboxing new t-shirts when the bell went off again.

stevie walked in with a soft smile on his face, one hand clutching a wad of money and his other hand holding the old skateboard he owned. he excitingly went up to ruben before exclaiming, "i have the money!" which made ruben smirk. the noise the boy made, made fourthgrade wake up as he looked around at the group. he slipped away to change into new clothes before anyone could realize he had even awoken.

"fuck yea!" ruben said with a smile before he slipped behind the counter with rosy. meanwhile ray and fuckshit began to look through new magazines rosy had unwrapped and placed on the counter. stevie handed the money over to ruben when fourthgrade approached the group. he placed his hand on fuckshit's shoulder which made the boy quickly turn and look before he exclaimed, "fourthgrade!" which made the boy smile.

rosy looked up from the box in her hands to fourthgrade who was already looking at her. the two locked eyes before they quickly looked away. rosy watched as ruben handed his old board to stevie and grabbed a new black one, with a large yellow m in the center of it, off the wall before he muttered, "sick."

the two boys looked at each other with large smiles before they both made there way over to the couches. rosy followed after them and threw the blankets and pillows her and fourthgrade had used the previous night on the floor before she sat down.

everyone else eventually made their way over to the group and pretty soon ruben, rosy, and fuckshit were all on one couch while ray and fourthgrade were occupying another. stevie was sat on the ground on top of his new board.

rosy was caught up in her own thoughts when fuckshit's loud laughter made her snap her eyes to his. "i don't understand this shit." he said in between giggles as he looked around at everyone. "why do they say mexicans are lazy?" he asked no one in particular before he looked at rosy and ruben. "why the fuck are you looking at us?" ruben asked in between laughs which made rosy smile.