fourteen: death

fourteen: death los angeles, 1990's

fourteen: death
los angeles, 1990's

"say cheese." her mother hummed before the flash went off, blinding the girl momentarily. once her eyes readjusted to the light she watched isaac eagerly reach for the picture to see how he had came out. his face that lacked expression lit up as laughs escaped his mouth. his small finger pointed at the polaroid picture  where you could just barely make out the two siblings.

"look at adri's face!" the little boy exclaimed making adriana eagerly run over to him.
"let me see. i wanna see!" the girl exclaimed as she pulled the picture from her brother's grasp. her eyes closed slightly as she tried to make out the picture that was still forming. once her eyes came in contact with her expression giggles left her lips. "why did it come out like that?" the little girl asked in a giggly voice as she moved some hair out of her face.

"because of the lighting baby." maria said before she grabbed a handful of the girl's hair and tied a ponytail for the young girl.

"here, how about go get something to eat from the kitchen while we wait for the rest of the picture to finish developing?" she asked making the two eagerly nod their heads.

they both followed their mother to the kitchen where they struggled to sit in the barstools before their mother helped them up. she then rummaged through the freezer in search of something that would satisfy the kids and within seconds reappeared in front of them holding two popsicles.

the kids eyes widened as adriana reached for the blue one and isaac reached for the yellow one. "thank you mommy." they both said in sync as they eagerly began enjoying their delicious treat. their mother smiled at the both of them before suddenly the smile disappeared from her face as the front door slammed open.

the two siblings instinctively jumped up as they both turned towards the sound of the noise. their father walked in, clearly upset, as he threw his brief case onto the couch and began to undo his tie. maria sighed before slowly making her way over to him, "estás bien?" she asked her husband who scoffed.

"no, no i'm not fine maria! when have i been fine? i can't do this right now. i-i just can't." he said as he began to raise his voice despite the two little kids who watched him.

maria turned towards her children before quickly turning back towards him, "hector. don't do this again. not in front of the kids." she said making him shake his head.

"don't do what? what is it that you don't want me to do? it's always something with you maria!" he yelled out, beginning the argument adriana would never forget.