Chapter one - new country

Beth Courts stood in a crowd in a small cramped airport, waiting for her bag to pass by. People rushed back and forth, the sound of crying children was distant but noticeable. Out of all the airports Beth could have picked, she picked a small, cheap one. This is all on you Beth she thought to herself as she saw her bag. Quickly, she grabbed it and started speed walking away. 

As Beth was walking past the food court she took a deep breathing in, hoping for a smell of decent food, but instead she got the smell of smoke, crack and alcohol. It was a shame that a city so beautiful and famous had some illegal things in overlooked places. Beth was now uncomfortable, so she picked up her walking pace and decided she would head straight outside.

It only took a few minutes to get to the doors and a sigh of relief escaped Beth's lips as her face was hit with cold, clean air. Beth pulled out her phone as she texted her aunt Whitley. Beth's father didn't want her living in a flat or a dorm with strangers so asked his sister is Beth could stay at her house till Beth turned twenty one.

 Whitley had agreed meaning Beth could ask to be accepted into HW law college; so far it was the best in the world. Beth started writing the text, it was a question on what transportation would be best to get. The text read:

Hello,  I'm now just out of the building, should I get a bus or taxi? 

Beth glanced around. She was still uncomfortable as a gang of high teens were just watching her. Then her phone buzzed.

If you're able to cope with waiting I will come pick you up. It should only be five minutes. 

Even thought Blanche lived in a different country to Beth and her father, Beth always saw Blanche more the parent that her father. That person who was meant to play the father figure in Beth's life was always working, Beth was second priority. Blanche was always then when Beth needed someone: exams, graduation, Beth's mother's funeral and even there for when it was Beth's birthday.

Sure, Beth would say her aunt was slightly off but she loved her either way. There was someone who actually cared about Beth and even if it was awkward it was still relief to have someone like Blanche in her life, someone who knew when to kick reality in.

That would be greatly appreciated. Beth replied, her eyes darting around at the groups passing her. She stuck out, mainly outfit wise but also for her colour. Unlike her father Beth was naturally a chocolately brown. Her Father was slightly tanned and aunt Blanche was very pale to the point Beth would say she was literally white. Beth took her mother's skin tone.

On that day Beth was wearing a navy blue sleeve off the shoulders dress with a black handbag and black ankle boots. Beth didn't know what her aunt's reaction to her alice-blue dyed hair would be like but it was a bit late for a warning.

Awhile later the unmistakable car of Beth's aunt pulled up. Beth smiled as she saw her aunt walk over, a smile on her face as well. 

"Hello moonlight! It feels like eternity since I saw you." Commented Blanche as the two exchanged a hug. 

"It's great to see you too auntie." Beth said in her calm Irish accent. The two pulled away from each other and started heading for the car. Beth was dragging her heavy suitcase behind her.

Blanche's car was a silver Suzuki Ciaz. Beth put her suitcase in the boot and sat in the front beside Blanche. It always surprised Beth how much her aunt got from being in the Supreme Court. Yet Blanche wasn't  a normal woman, sure she had a lot of money but she didn't show that off, but she was off. 

The ride was silent. What to talk about was a question Beth couldn't find an answer herself. Then Blanche came out with: "What made you pick HW?" Blanche was concentrating on the road so didn't see Beth shrug. 

"there was just something about it that seemed different." Was the honest answer that Beth gave. Blanche smiled, Beth couldn't read her aunt. She was certainly one who confused a lot of people. A lot of people thought she was blink but she had better eye sight than most.

"That's true." Blanche admitted. Beth kept glancing at her aunt; was that a warning or what?

The rest of the ride was in silence. Once they arrived at the house Beth was in shock. A three level building with massive windows shining light into the house. As weird as it sounded Beth had never been at Blanche's before.

The two got out of the car and Blanche got Beth's suitcase before heading to the front door. With a password protected door all it took was a password and a turn of a key. Blanche walked in and Beth followed into the house. Beth still couldn't believe her aunt was living luxury and was willing to stay in a flat a third of the year.

"Ma'am you're back!" A girl walked down the stairs. Her hair was a light gray, that hair was put into to buns on either side of her head. From what Beth could tell this young woman was blind in one eye. A black dress and black heels was what the lady was wearing. 

"Pearl meet Dante's daughter, Beth Courts." Blanche put Beth's bag by the stairs as Pearl smiled and bowed at Beth for a second. "Show her to her room."

"Of course ma'am." Pearl bowed and got Beth's suitcase. "Follow me Miss Courts." Pearl started walking up the white carpeted stairs with Beth following her. 

Once they got to the third floor there was two rooms. Pearl turned to face the sapphire blue door, the only speck of colour Beth had seen so far. Then pearl opened the door. "This is your room Miss Courts." Beth smiled.

"Thank you."

"Do you need anything Miss Courts?"Pearl asked, looking at the tall lady.

"I'm fine thank you, Pearl." Pearl bowed and left Beth to herself.

I'll unpack later. Beth thought to herself as she sat on the double sized bed. It was comfy, the silver covers were made of silk and the pillow casings make of cotton. "New country, new day tomorrow." Beth said to herself with a sigh.

 Beth was beyond tired and didn't want to get off the bed, but it was only two in the afternoon. She was going to move but she had been up since one in the morning, for the plane to come late. Beth rolled onto her side. Aunt Blanche will understand I'm tired. That was the last thought Beth had before drifting to sleep.

Blanche had a coffe in hand as she walked upstairs. She went up to the third level and passed Beth's room (which the door was open) the quiet snores of Beth was only just noticable, Blanche smiled, she knew Beth would have a lot thrown at her. "I wish you luck Moonlight." Blanche whispered as she went into her office.