Chapter 6 - coffee

The next day Beth and Marigold had been texting all morning, Beth was excited since she had never been to the White Dock before. In the night Beth had searched it up, and it wasn't a tourist attraction, being honest Beth could find barely anything on the place. Only the simple information was given which was basically its history. 

It was sunny for once yet the heat was ice cold. So with that in mind Beth got some black yoga pants, a black long-sleeve top and a navy blue hoodie on. Quickly she threw her hair into a messy high bun. Beth couldn't be bothered to do makeup meaning she looked like she had a sleeping disorder when really it was from the amount she cried. 

Beth fussed over her sleeves, making sure they covered the many scars that when the whole way up her arms, wrist to shoulder. No one knew and would know. It had been like that for five years, why would it change suddenly? 

Beth headed down stairs to see a tired looking Pearl. The usually perfect looking woman had lightly bloodshot eyes and sunken features. She didn't look at all well.

"Oh, Miss! I didn't see you there!" Pearl smiled as she spoke in a blocked voice. 

"Pearl you don't sound at all well..." Beth sounded concerned.

"It's just the common cold, Miss." admitted the Pearl. 

"Don't work to hard." Beth smiled.

"Oh, Miss! You may have realised but mistress Blanche is on a business trip so she shall be gone for a week or so." Beth nodded. With a turn of her head she looked at the clock. Three hours to go.

Beth honestly didn't know what to do with herself since most of her stuff was back with her father. So Beth went on her phone and downloaded a few games to play till she got something's that wasn't on a screen. 

An hour went by and Beth was still on her phone when she got a text from Marigold.

M- Hey

B- hey

M- should I pick you up?

B- it's fine I'd rather walk.

M- have you been outside?

B- no

M- well it's freezing and from the college to White Dock is three hours walking.

B- this is literally on the other side of town

M- indeed.

B- so I guess a pick up would be nice then.

M- address is?

B- Mooncove road, 696, 6MR 8FD

M- okay, thanks! See you in an hour or so.

B- okay

Why did Beth feel like she was acting like a head over heels teenager? Did she like this girl? Beth couldn't tell herself.

*timeskip brought by Blanche*

Marigold arrived at the drive of the house and Beth came out. Marigold didn't get out her car, which Beth didn't mind. Quickly Beth got into the car. 

"So, why the White Dock?" Beth asked as the engine turned on.

"Seemed nice. Also someone who lives in the rich part of town would want a break from the modern side." Marigold answered starting to drive.

After half an hour they arrived at the docks. The place had a few shops around the actual dock and then some locals. Marigold started walking and Beth followed. The blonde haired one leaded them to a small cafe called CarDon the doors were made of glass giving a view into the vintage cafe.

When they went in there was a smell of pastries, coffee and cake. There was a jazz band playing at the back of the cafe. They went over to the counter to see a short pink haired girl. "Oh, Hey Marigold."

"Don't even Pembe." Marigold replied through gritted teeth. 

"Okay. I'll leave you for now. So what can I get you." Pembe turned to face Beth showing who's order was going first. 

Beth looked at the menu before saying, "I'll have the orange and ginger latte, please."

"Of course!" Pembe smiled writing it down. She turned to Marigold, "and for the caring step sis." She said, sarcasm dripping off the word caring. 

"Peppermint and raspberry mocha."

"Very well. That's £6.35." Beth reached her hand into her bag to get her money but before she could Marigold had payed for it. Pembe smiled at the two as they walked away. They sat near the band yet not far from the windows.

Two minutes later a young boy around Beth's age came with their drinks and a cake. "Peppermint and raspberry mocha, orange and ginger latte and rose champagne slice."

The two girl stared at each other. Neither of them asked for cake nor did they pay for once. "There must be some confus-" yet before more could be said the boy was away. 

Without saying a word the two started to drink their drinks in silence. Beth paused to listen to the live band in the background. Marigold stayed quiet. Beth coughed lightly and Marigold looked over at her. 

"So... what have you been doing today?" Marigold asked looking into Beth's eyes.

Beth shrugged. "Not much, I've only been here for three days so I don't have much."

"Your not from here?" Marigold almost sounded surprised. "How did you get a nice house?"

"I'm from Dumbln, and the house isn't mine, it's my aunts." 

"I see." Silence fell again. Soon the two finished their drinks leaving only the cake. "You can have it." Marigold said to Beth. Her face showed no emotion, meaning Beth didn't want to argue so started eating. 

Once Beth finished the cake the two stood up and left. The wind was weak, yet cold. The two started heading to the shops.