Chapter 34. Children Lost and Found

Slowly, all the participants in reclaiming the nascent psyche shook off the residual disorientation of the experience.

“It’s really over? And it won’t happen again?” Hotch addressed the doctor directly. He seemed to need more reassurance than the others. From his perspective, he’d been standing one minute…lying down the next. He hadn’t felt any trauma this time. There’d been no desire to hide, to nestle into someone’s arms for comfort when he woke. Although grateful for the relative ease of this experience, he also didn’t have a sense of anything having been accomplished.

The doctor understood. Taking Hotch’s shoulders, he gave him an affectionate shake. “Everything and everyone is in its proper, rightful place. As to whether or not this off-track, psychic wandering happens again…” He released one shoulder. Gripping Hotch’s wrist, he brought it up to display the beaded bracelet wrapped around it. “…that, in part, is up to you.”

Hotch sounded resigned. “I won’t take it off.” He saw a flicker of doubt in both the doctor’s and Julio’s eyes. “Seriously. I’ll wear it in the shower. I’ll wear it at the gym. Promise.”

“Good boy.” The doctor released his wrist, patted his shoulder, and turned away.

Doctor?

Reid and Ana were the most shaken this time around. Ana had been the most active participant, yet she also seemed the most peaceful; almost basking in the afterglow of the experience. Reid, however, seemed nervous. He had questions.

Would you mind if we spoke in private before leaving?

The old man cocked a humorous brow at the young agent.  I believe telepathy is about as private as one can get, yes?

Reid ducked his head and grinned. The way you do it, it is. We’re not that proficient…yet.

Of course. Why don’t we go to my office…just you and the empath, or would you like Julio to be present as well?

Just us? If that’s okay?

The doctor nodded, stopping to glance at the table littered with the Palero priest’s bits and pieces from which he’d built his amulets. He shook his head and gave his colleague a respectful look. Before you came here, I never considered the power of providing tangible symbols for patients to carry away with them. You have widened my horizons, Julio. You make me wonder what else I’ve been missing while cloistered here in this sanctuary.

As the doctor reached the door, Hotch spoke, halting him before he passed through.

“You’re sure everything’s okay now, doctor?”

Rossi studied his friend’s face. “What’s wrong, Hotch? What’s bothering you?”

Before he could respond, the doctor turned back into the room, coming to stand before the two agents. The weathered eyes had a discerning look that softened as they examined Hotch. The voice held a sorrowful note. “Ahhh. Aaron. I see.” Knowing the touch that would comfort, he raised a hand to lay against Hotch’s face, tracing light arcs over the cheekbone with a gnarled thumb.

His eyes remained on his patient, but the words seemed to be meant for Rossi. “It’s the idea of losing a child. He knows what it’s like to think one’s son has been taken. He doesn’t want the young couple to know such loss, even before they’ve had the joy of parenthood.”

Hotch’s eyes remained fixed on the doctor’s. Rossi answered for him.

“His son was in danger once, but he saved him. They’re together now.”