Chapter 46. Cries From the Past

The doctor watched as newborn Melinda was held by Hotch, then Rossi, then her father again. When she was passed back into her mother’s arms, he made the reluctant decision to continue on with the regular duties that claimed his days, and sometimes his nights.

It wasn’t often that he was afforded the pleasure of bringing a new life into the world; the norm for this sanctuary was to draw patients of an entirely different kind.

“It’s time to give the new parents some privacy now.”

Thank you, doctor. Ana’s eyelids were beginning to droop. I am feeling a little tired.

Out loud, children. It’s never too early to demonstrate proper courtesy. You have an example to set now that you’ve increased your number.

Sorry. Reid apologized on his wife’s behalf; she was already snuggling down for a nap, Melinda nestled against her. “Guys, Ana needs rest. I’m gonna stay here, but I guess we’ll join up later at Millie’s?”

“Sounds good.” Rossi took Hotch’s arm. The Unit Chief had a delightfully sappy smile and seemed transfixed, unable to tear his gaze from the tiny newcomer’s face. “C’mon, Aaron. You can see her again later.”

The doctor and Julio were already in the hallway. Rossi pulled happy Hotch after him. At the door, he stopped and took a last look at the newly formed tableau of parents and child.

“Congratulations, Reid. You have a beautiful family.”

“Thanks, Rossi.”

As his wife and daughter rested, Reid pulled out his phone and began a series of quietly joyful calls to his mother, in-laws and team. He would wait for Ana to go into detail, but for the moment, it felt so good to simply say… “She’s here. Melinda’s finally here. And she’s beautiful.”

xxxxxxx

Errrrr…unnnn…Errrrr…unnnn…

She felt him leave the room. Beautiful Him. But warm against her mother, she was content. She raised her tiny nose and sniffled a bit. She wasn’t supposed to touch Beautiful Him too much, but she could ‘see’ so clearly…a time when touching him would be important. When he would ask for it. She didn’t understand, but she saw it.

Melinda saw much that defied her undeveloped cognitive processes. But she would figure it out. For now it was enough to know that the souls closest to her…Partly Him and Partly Her and Beautiful Him…were safe and happy.

She could sleep. And dream. And wait for the time when Beautiful Him called her.

xxxxxxx

In the hallway, the doctor closed the door, giving the Reids, all three of them, some quiet time. Noting the slaphappy look on Hotch’s face, he decided to address Rossi; the older man was under less of a spell and would likely be more able to grasp and act on the doctor’s request. Aaron was too enthralled with his new goddaughter to be of much use.

“I have patients to see, but I would like to talk with you and your…son.” He saw no reason to avoid naming the relationship between the two men. He could understand their reluctance to have it known outside this special, little community, but here and now the doctor considered it worthy of private celebration. The father already seemed pleased with the concept. He hoped, eventually, Aaron would feel the same way. Merely in passing, the doctor sensed Aaron loved his father, but there was a darkness lurking beneath the sentiment that was depriving the son of the joy he deserved.