Chapter 75. Fawn

The doctor closed the door behind him and turned to assess the people waiting in the living room.

He could virtually taste the nervous anticipation emanating from Melinda’s parents. The other three were in what he considered a limbo state. They were not psychic. They were friends whose concern for their comrades verged on the familial. But they were uncomfortable in the present situation; wanting to help, but lacking the means to do so when everything was playing out in an arena so unfamiliar it relegated them to the background.

So they stayed on the fringes, but the doctor read their willingness to help, if only someone would tell them how.

A good group of people. Aaron’s family…the one he created when the one he was born into was so destructively disappointing. He smiled at the thought that a man with so much doubt as to his own worthiness, could inspire such fierce loyalty in those around him. I correct myself: he didn’t ‘create’ this family, so much as he ‘attracted’ them to him. The doctor shook his head and gave a deep sigh. The injuries within him might never heal completely, but at least now he has a father who won’t worsen them, or add to the pain he already carries.

He felt Reid’s and Ana’s eyes on him. And now for the child who is far more likely to do harm, than to be harmed herself. Melinda.

He approached the little family and smiled reassurance at them.

Telepath…empath…since this is to be a discussion subject to doctor-patient confidentiality, we can either conduct it telepathically, or adjourn to one of the bedrooms. Your choice.

Reid and Ana glanced at each other, already in accord about taking the most direct route to learning what this man had deduced about their daughter. The pair braced themselves mentally; an adjustment so apparent to the doctor that he took pity on them and decided to alleviate their worries.

Relax, both of you. She is not some monstrous creature who will end up leveling cities and destroying populations.

His attempt to use humor to lighten the situation wasn’t entirely successful. Reid’s eyes widened, unable to keep scenes from some of his favorite, vintage, horror movies flashing through his mind. Fuzzy-looking prehistoric beasts emitting the standard I’m-a-monster roar, and rampaging through cardboard models of Tokyo did nothing to ease his concern.

The doctor sat down beside them. I apologize. This is anything but a matter of levity to you. So let me explain about your child.

Ana looked up. She hurt Hotch. And she did something to Carol Bescardi. Something that scares me. Her declaration begged to be refuted, so the doctor did his best. Although he hadn’t examined the disturbed woman in the bathroom, he could feel her presence. He found it distasteful…abhorrent, even. He wasn’t looking forward to inspecting her at close range, but eventually he knew he would have to.

I think it’s important in Melinda’s case to take motive into account. She acts out of innocence. Hers is not a cognitive process, but more a motivational force. And in both cases, when her power did harm, that motivating force was love.

Reid’s brows rose in a quizzical arc. Love. Seriously? She loved her kidnapper? The woman who attacked and injured her mother?

Allow me to explain, telepath. The doctor reached over and touched sleeping Melinda’s cheek, stroking its softness with a gentle index finger. The fondness evident in his look, in his smile, made it clear that he didn’t find the little girl, nor her power, at all frightening.