Chapter 45. Love Child

Reid was so nervous he would have forgotten his own name, if people hadn’t kept shouting it at him.

“Reid! You sure you’re gonna be okay?”

Spencer! This is it!

“Reid! Remember! The first time you hold her, it’ll all be worth it!”

Telepath, I don’t think you’re rested…strong enough… for this…

Spencer!

I am strong enough! Ana? Ana, I’m here. I’m with you…

“Reid! Breathe!”

Julio, take them to the lobby. The child will be confused to hear so many thoughts so close. She should hear only her parents at first. And keep ahold of Aaron. Just in case.

So the Palero had hustled Hotch and Rossi away, and Reid had taken a deep, shaky breath and joined his mind to Ana’s. But the doctor’s assessment of his depleted state had been accurate. Ana sensed it on top of everything else she was feeling. It was too much to have the additional worry of her husband when all she wanted was to center and focus on herself and the child demanding its independence.

NO, Spencer! NO!

But…?

I said ‘NO,’ and I meant it. No time to explain! I love you…but… I’m BUSY! NO!

Crestfallen, Reid pulled back and turned limpid, forlorn eyes on the doctor. She said ‘no.’

The tidal force of the old man’s mental chuckle gave some slight reassurance. Telepath, in this matter she is the final authority. Even I would hesitate to gainsay a mother-in-the-making. He glanced up at the troubled, young man. Next time.

Reid swallowed, feeling a wave of dizziness. Next time?!

The doctor’s lips quirked upward in amusement. Three years from now. You’ll have to be patient and wait, telepath…for your son.

At that point Reid could only sink to his knees beside Ana’s bed, a quivering bundle of nerves and shock, resigned to lending support in the most banal, traditional, but wonderful way. Because it was what his wife, the mother of his child…children!... required.

Children. I’m going to have more than one. Ana’s going to do this again. I…we…she…I…

xxxxxxx

Rossi and Hotch sat in the lobby, waiting.

Julio stood behind Hotch’s chair, his hands resting on the agent’s shoulders. Every few minutes they would move, roaming from collarbones to shoulder blades to neck. Hotch didn’t like being handled on a good day. At the moment he was tired, worried, and still uncertain how he felt about the whole reincarnation issue. He was getting annoyed. Finally, when one hand traveled down to mid-chest and pressed over his heart, he snapped.

“Is this really necessary?” He tried to twist in his seat, to address the Palero directly. He was surprised when the hands exerted more power than he’d thought they possessed, arresting his movement, holding him in place.

“Yes.” Julio’s voice rumbled right back at the Unit Chief’s; two alphas growling. “I have always thought you a stubborn man, but never a stupid one. Don’t change my opinion of you now.”