Chapter 73. Special Children

While the doctor was closeted with Melinda, Reid used the time to let Ana ‘see’ everything that she’d missed during her hospital stay.

Originally, he’d intended to shield her from the sordid scene where their daughter had been kept, as well as the frightening blast of energy Melinda had leveled at Bescardi. However, when he touched Ana and felt the tiniest frisson of sympathy for the woman’s present condition, he decided a total reveal was in order. It was the right choice.

When Ana saw the grimy, unsafe environment into which her baby had been brought, Reid felt the compassion, which was her natural empath’s reaction to most people and situations, recede. In fact, he was beginning to wonder if he would need to restrain the young mother from inflicting physical damage equal to that of the psychic variety Melinda had bestowed on her kidnapper.

But when Ana saw how Hotch had made himself available as a conduit between her husband and daughter, her sympathy and concern for their friend overrode the lingering anger.

Spencer… Ana’s sad eyes sought and found  resonance in his. He did it again. He risked himself to find her for us.  Reid nodded. He’s stupid and brave. Reid nodded. And he doesn’t care what happens to him, does he? Reid shook his head. We owe him. Big time. Reid nodded. You look like one of those bobble-head toys. Reid smiled.

Melinda’s sobbing wail, as she realized she’d hurt her Beautiful Him, cut short the discussion of Hotch’s contribution to her rescue.

Both young parents shot off the sofa in unison, sprinting for the closed door from behind which they’d heard their daughter’s cry. Reid’s hand was on the knob, but something stopped him from turning it. His wife piled into him in the wake of his abrupt halt. Frowning, she stared at his frozen grip, waiting for him to turn the handle.

Spencer! Open it! She glanced up at his face and the conflict so plainly written upon it. What’s wrong?! Melinda! It’s Melinda! SPENCER!!

Reid shook himself out of the thoughts holding him hostage.

Looking down at his wife, he tried to explain as he continued to hold himself in check. He said not to interfere.

That’s our daughter in there! Disbelief and outrage colored Ana’s words.

I know! But…he said not to interfere, and not to tag along...

Ana’s telepathic communication was punctuated by a very audible, low, guttural growl. I don’t care what he said! I’m her mother! And, claiming all the rights and privileges thereof, beginning and sometimes ending with the right to protect one’s young with one’s own life, if necessary…Ana tore Spencer’s hand away and turned the knob herself, pushing the door inward…

xxxxxxx

Rossi smiled down at the half-closed eyes.

“D….Dave…” Hotch caught himself, substituting one word for another. Of this, Rossi was sure.

That’s alright. Even if I never get to hear it again, I was called ‘Dad’ by the only man I wanted to say it.

“How are you feeling, Aaron?” The older agent remained seated, hand still resting on Hotch’s chest.

The eyes blinked at him, sleepily. “Okay. I’m okay. Fine, I guess…” When Rossi’s gaze was steady, disallowing any pretense or evasion, Hotch sighed. “Tired. Kind of…just…worn out. Sort of.”

“Well, then maybe you should sleep some more.”

Something about the statement disturbed Hotch, but he wasn’t sure what. His brain felt slow, sluggish; as though he’d already slept way too much and couldn’t quite shake loose from the aftereffects. He looked away from Rossi, eyes scanning across the ceiling with its ornate mahogany molding set against buttery yellow frescoed plaster. “Where are we? I don’t remember coming here.”