02; The One With The Thumb

(I am going to be writing this story in past tense, since I find it difficult to write third person in present tense. Sorry.)

The group sat down in the Coffee House, talking about nothing

The group sat down in the Coffee House, talking about nothing. Chandler and Monica shared the big couch, while Ross had a seperate armchair. Joey was also sat on an armchair, while Lisa sat on the floor, right below him, where Joey lazily stroked her hair. Rachel was working, making coffee for the customers, and handing a cold coffee to Lisa, who desperately needed it.

She had been awake for almost the entire night, with her boss in the recording studio, since he just needed to get a good rhythm on a certain song that needed to be released for the public in only two weeks, which Lisa thought was absolutely crazy.

Suddenly, Pheobe entered the Coffee House, walking towards the group. "Hey, Pheebs," Lisa greeted.

"Hey," said Ross. "Oh, how did it go? The date?"

Pheobe sighed. "Not so good. He walked me to the subway and said: 'We should do this again.'"

The entire group, except Rachel, made apologetic noises for their blonde friend. Rachel looked confused. "What?" She questioned. "He said we should do this again. That's good, right?"

"No," said Monica. "Loosely translated 'We should do this again' means 'You are never going to see me naked.'"

The group made a sound of agreement. "You know, this even happens in Italy," said Lisa.

"Since when?" Rachel asked, moving out of the counter and towards the group.

"Since always," Joey answered. "It's like dating language. You know, like, 'It's not you' means 'It is you.'"

"Or 'You're such a nice guy' means 'I'm gonna be dating leather wearing alchoholics and complain about them to you,'" Chandler added.

"Or 'I think we should see other people' means 'Haha! I already am!'" Pheobe also added.

"And everybody knows this?" Rachel questioned.

"Yeah, cushion's the blow," Joey answered.

"Yeah, it's like when you're a kid and your parents put your dog to sleep and they tell you he went off to live in some farm," Chandler said, hinting that the dog's dead.

"That's funny," Ross exclaimed, then pointed to himself and Monica and said, "Because our parents actually did send our dog up to live in a farm."

Lisa brought her hand up to her mouth, sharing a glance with her brother. "Ross?" Said Monica.

"What? Hello! The Milner's farm in Connecticut?" Ross questioned. The Milners had this unbelievable farm. They had horses and rabbits to chase. And it was. . ." He trailed off, realizing his dog was dead. "Oh, my God! Chi-Chi!"

▪▪▪

Lisa walked into her office, setting down her bag and taking off her coat and hanging it on the rack, near the door. She took a seat in the rotating chair, leaning back and sighing. She heard a knock on the door, and said, "Come in!"