15; The One Where Chandler Quits

Everyone except Phoebe and Chandler were at Central Perk

Everyone except Phoebe and Chandler were at Central Perk. George was there, too, his arm around Lisa's shoulder as they talked in hush whispers, trying to figure out what Lisa could do for this new project she had got. Monica, Ross, Joey and Rachel were talking with each other, Rachel kind of waitressing, but also not waitressing. Lisa pointed her pen to her notepad at George's idea. "Actually, I think I could make this one work," she said, circling it. "Seems good, don't you think?"

"It's up to you, Lis," he told her, running his hand through his hair as he leaned closer towards her. Using his other hand to point at another idea, he bit the inside of his cheek. "That one might work, too."

Lisa furrowed her brows. "Hm, but what about the beat that'll go with it? It wouldn't, you know, merge like it's supposed to."

"They want it to be a ballad and a jazz," he stated blandly. "It's not supposed to merge."

Lisa rolled her eyes, a smile playing at her lips. Their attention was diverted from each other to Phoebe, who rushed in, looking excited with eyes wide and a skip in her step. "Hey you guys! Chandler's coming and he says he has, like, this incredible news, so when he gets here, we could all act like, you know..." she trailed off as Chandler walked in, greeting the group. Phoebe made hand gestures toward the group. "Never mind. But it was going to be really good."

"What's going on, Chan?" Lisa asked, looking up at her brother who looked happier than she had ever seen him.

Chandler nodded, making hand gestures as he explained what happened. "So, it's a typical day at work. I'm inputting my numbers, and big Al calls me into his office and tells me he wants to make me processing supervisor."

"That's great!"

"So...I quit."

"What?" Lisa exclaimed. "Why?"

"Why?" Chandler repeated incredulously. "This was supposed to be a temp job!"

"Yeah, Chandler..." Monica sighed. "You've been there for five years."

"If I took this promotion, it'd be like admitting that this is what I actually do."

Phoebe glanced at him. "So was it a lot more money?"

Chandler shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I just don't want to be one of those guys that's in his office until twelve o'clock at night worrying about the WENUS."

Everyone glanced at each other before looking at Chandler, confused. Rachel cleared her throat, scratching the back of her neck. "...the WENUS?"

"Weekly Estimated Net Usage Systems," Chandler told her. "A processing term."

"Oh. That WENUS," Rachel said, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Joey sat up straight, looking at Chandler. "So what're you going to do?"