Chapter 3

She stayed after that day and the next week it was the end of the second week of extra practice when he coach asked her "why do you want so much practice?"

"I need it."

"no you don't."

She saw his knowing smile and didn't try that excuse again. "maybe I'm looking for some thing to do."

"why I figured homework would be enough."

"that takes me a whole hour maybe two if I am having problems. I enjoy this it takes time and it helps something I take pride in."

"so you want to have some fun then."

"yes but it is practice for the games."

"yes but why don't you get some of the girls from the team and go to the park for a game or two?"

"the other girls are in this for more then something to pass the time. A couple even have scholarships riding on this team. Sometimes I want to just play not worry about weather were taking score who fouled who or anything. If I foul someone in game I don't want to have a big deal out of it the same with other things. Sometimes it's just nice to play for fun. You know?"

"yeah I can understand that. To bad for me though I won't be able to stay tomorrow."

"oh."

"yeah my mother is in town I have to pick her up from the airport."

"okay well the day after that then?"

"okay see you tomorrow at practice." he chucked her bag at her and went for t he door. She walked home and did her normal routine. Her dreams that night were filled with her coach. She had begun to think of him as just James but only to herself. The next day after school she was shocked to find him still there after practice. "I thought you had to go tot the airport?"

"I did but my mother called earlier and said her flight was delayed so I've got time for a quick game if you up for it."

"sure." she checked like always. She was backing toward the goal three points under her belt tied with him she turned over judged and took them both down. She landed right on top of him. She sat up straddling him as she looked down into his face she saw that look again he tried to hide It but he didn't do very well. She leaned down drawn by some unknown force. He didn't know what possessed him to let her kiss him all he knew was he couldn't stop her. She tasted like cinnamon gum and smelled like shampoo. It wasn't hard to flow with the kiss. But it took all his will to stop it. She looked surprised by it and he immediately sat up pushing her too her feet. He collected the ball and grabbed his things. "I'll see you tomorrow Julie like always." he knew he was running but he was afraid that if he stayed he would do something not very good. 

She walked home that night confused she wasn't sure what to do about what happened. She knew what she wanted to happen but knew that if anyone should find out It could be problems for them both.

James walked through the airport. His mothers flight had just landed. She saw him right away but he was looking out the window not watching for her at all. She walked up beside him and tapped him on the shoulder chuckling as he jumped.

"hey you back on planet earth now?"

"hi mom. Nice flight?"

"it was okay." she could see him immediately zone back out. "but this guy in the isle kept flirting with me I thought I would you know meet him later a little noogie never hurt any one. James you not even listening to me."

"huh. Sorry mom thinking."

"yeah heavy stuff apparently." she let him sink back into his thoughts. At his house she decided she wanted dinner edible so she fixed it. "okay spill what's going on?"

"not much."

"don't lie to your mother. Something has you really distracted it's not healthy to bottle up your feelings. So talk about it."

"I don't know mom it's not really something I think I want to talk to my mother about."

"so it's about a girl or sex or both."

"mom!"

"what I am human you know. Oh come on you don't have to go into details make it general a hypothetical situation even." he looked at her and sighed he did need some one to bounce this off of.

"I've fallen for someone."

"that's good. What's she like?"

"she's wonderful she's smart and funny and devoted to her family she's a hard worker. And she shoots like a dream."

"so you know her through school then?"

"yeah."

"so what's the problem."

"a relationship like I want is just not possible."

"why not she doesn't feel the same?"

"it's... no...I think given the opportunity this could be it for both of us."

"there isn't a policy about not dating other faculty members is there?"

"no but that's the problem."

"what's the problem."

"she's not faculty." he was looking down and didn't see the shock on his mothers face.

"you mean to tell me that you my youngest son the one every one always thought was so great always did the right thing has fallen in love with a student. Son there barely out of training pants."

"not this girl she's over eighteen she's basically raised herself her parent work all the time. She pays all the bills and does all the shopping. She'd be a great mother."

"to someone else's kids. Son you go after this girl you could get yourself in a world of trouble."

"damn it I know that but what the hell am I going to do let her go I've been looking for this and now here it is and because someone might no like it I have to let the love of my life get away."

"yes. because one, she's not he love of you life she'san infatuation you'll get over it. And two because if you should go after hereven if this turns out to be what you've always wanted and it's the same forher you'll lose your job the one you've wanted since you were in junior high.This would be a mistake James and being your mother I can tell you if you dothis your making an ass out of yourself." she saw he knew that already but hewas convinced that he had found his love there would be no stopping him if hereally wanted this. They ate dinner and went to bed she would spent he dayvisiting friends while he was at work.