Understanding

Sakura felt like the world slowed down as Gaara looked at her for an answer.. but how was she supposed to answer that question.? The two of them had been fairly close before the war, and they still had their memories of those good times.. and the memory of Gaara's final moments before he died.. when he asked her that question. She didn't know how to answer it then and she still didn't know if she did now..

"Gaara I.." she began, unable to find the correct words for what she was feeling.. "Gaara.. we're only toddlers right now.. and we have more important things to think about before any sort of relationship.." she told him truthfully, her heart sank when she saw the heartbreak in his eyes as she said that..

Gaara looked at the ground and nodded, "Yeah, yeah you're right." He choked out, wiping at his eyes quickly, "we have to worry about defeating Madara before anything like.. like me and you.. together.." he mumbled, getting quieter and quieter with each word. Sakura wanted to comfort him somehow but she didn't know how she could, or if that was even a good idea at the moment.. it probably wasn't..

Sakura reached her hand out to touch him, "Gaara, I'm sorry.. I just, I can't worry about you right now when there's so much to do.." she whispered to him, "when there are so many people to save! When there's you to save!" She told him, Gaara looked at her for a moment without saying anything.. Sakura didn't know if he was going to say something or just turn and run away.. she was silently hoping he would say something so they could figure this out..

Sakura sniffled as she wiped her eyes, "I watched everyone die, Gaara.. and I couldn't do anything about it.." she told him, feeling more vulnerable then she ever had before in her life, "but now we can do something about it! Naruto, Sasuke, me, and you! And everyone else once they remember! We can save the world!" She smiled and cried at the same time, she needed Gaara to understand what she was doing and why.. and why the two of them just couldn't do anything right now. Mainly because they had to save the world, and also because they were only toddlers right now, so that'd be really weird.

Gaara stayed silent for a moment before speaking, "I understand Sakura.." he half smiled, but she could tell it was forced, "you had to watch everyone die.. I can't even imagine how hard that is.." he shook his head in disbelief just imagining doing what she did.. what Naruto and Sasuke did.. and what they were currently doing to make sure they could bring all of them back and stop Madara! He was an idiot for trying to make something between him and Sakura when she was so focused on saving everyone.. saving the world.. he should be more focused on helping them then on a girl!

Sakura breathed a sigh of relief, "I'm so happy you understand, Gaara.." she smiled sweetly that made Gaara's heart skip a beat, "and I promise.. once all of this is really over, I'll give you an answer." She promised him, taking his small toddler hands in hers.. maybe this moment would be romantic or something if they weren't currently three years old, not like that was the entire reason it wasn't unromantic- no that was basically the entire reason it was unromantic, they're currently three years old.

Gaara nodded his head as he moved his hands to his sides, "thank you, Sakura." He smiled in return, "I'll be waiting.." he told her as he looked up at the sun in the middle of the sky.. he should be getting back to Sunagakure now before a search party is sent out to look for him.. that was assuming a search party hadn't already been sent out to find him that is..

"I've got to go.. I'll see you soon, hopefully." He said as he turned around and began to walk away, he glanced back one final time to see her staring at him as he walked off.. he hoped she would say something to him but it seemed she was staying quiet, which was probably for the best.. he sighed wistfully as he began walking again, leaving Sakura out of sight.. and trying to leave her out of mind, which was already proving to be more trouble then he thought it would be..

Sakura waited until he was out of sight and definitely out of ear shot to turn around, "Naruto! Sasuke! You two are so nosy!" She yelled angrily as the blonde Uzumaki fell out of a tree, and the Uchiha materialized from the bushes. They both looked at her questioningly as she planted her hands on her hips accusingly, "were you listening to the entire conversation?!" She asked them, they shook their heads no as Naruto quickly stood up and brushed the twigs and leaves off of himself.

Naruto held his hands up like he was warding off a stray dog, "We were just making sure Gaara didn't get any funny ideas.. as you two practically confessed your love for each other!" He yelled really, REALLY, loud. Both boys stuck their tongues out in disgust, which earned them a swift knock on the head by a very angry pinkette who didn't think their reactions were quite as funny as they thought.

"We weren't confessing our love for each other! We're three." She reminded them with another bop to the head, "besides, we've got more important things to worry about.." she said seriously, the two boys frowned before nodding in agreement..

Sasuke looked around the trees, "Yeah, you're right.." he mumbled before looking up at both of his friends, "we're really this worlds only hope, aren't we?" He asked, really letting it sink in that they were the only things stopping this world from being doomed for good.. it suddenly felt like there was a lot more pressure on their shoulders then before..

"We are." Naruto said seriously as he placed a hand on Sasuke's shoulder to comfort him, "but we can save this world.. I'm sure we can." He smiled encouragingly as Sakura nodded in agreement.. they had to be sure that they could save this world.. this timeline.. this universe!

Because if they couldn't.. then next time they fought Madara..

everyone would die..

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Yeah. No romance yet, it's too soon! But will sparks fly in the future for these two? Will team 7 really get strong enough to beat Madara in the future?

Stay tuned to find out what happens next on Back To The Past!

Also, if you're interested in fanfiction about the anime/manga 'Fairy Tail', then consider reading my other stories! Fled From Fairy Tail, Elements Of Sabertooth, Dragon Spirit, or my newest one, Lost Senses!