fourteen

Niamh's pov

Here we are, all back in lovely Sister Micheal's room, showing her a copy of the article we had stolen and plastered on the front cover.

"Not happening." She said.

"But Sister Michael"

"Don't even think about arguing. I can't be doing with the Board of Governors getting wind of something like this at the moment. They're a thorn in my arse at the best of times. I mean, for God's sake, Erin, what happened to Shoes of the World?"

Aye what did happen to shoes around the world, that's quite interesting.

"This is more important. This is about, you know, gay rights."

"I see. And I take it that's what the camp shirts are in aid of. A very serious uniform violation, by the way.But let's take one problem at a time, shall we?."

Ah shite, blame Gerry and his wee fucking docket.

"This isn't a problem, Sister. This is ground-breaking journalism." Erin told her.

"They are not to be distributed tomorrow. Do I make myself clear?"

"But that's censorship." James said.

"Well done. You are correct. You're being censored. Now go." She told us.

well that was that.

-

Apparently Aunt Sarah had a new date, and he was coming to dinner. This would be interesting.

Turns out Ciaran wasn't very interesting and he works at the photo shop. Then Erin brought up the anonymous Lesbian at school, and then Grandpa said that Brigitte Gallagher, who works in the post office was a lesbian, and I know that that's definitely not true because I used to go out with her son, Ryan.

"I'm gonna have to make a stand about this, Mammy." Erin told Mary

"Ah no, you won't, Erin."

"The school is trying to erase this young girl's experience, all because she's gay.
I mean, what if it were me? What if it were Orla? Or Niamh?"

"Fine, stick up for the wee lesbian."

"I just don't understand what they eat." Orla says from the corner on her step board.

-

"Read all about the wee dyke." Michelle yells.

we were handing out "The Habit" and on the front page was the story that we were told not to print, whoops.

"We will not be censored!"

"Lesbians really do exist!"

"I support gays, even though I myself am not actually gay." James yelled.

"Come on, Clare." Erin said.

"I don't wanna get involved. I'm sorry."

"Coward!"

-

I had went off with James to get a drink from the vending machine, and all anyone was talking about was the lesbian story. Michelle ran over to join us.

"Isn't this mad?" Michelle asked.

"It's all anyone's talking about." I smiled.

"Everyone's buzzing to find out who she is."

"Well, if she ever does reveal herself, she'll basically be a celebrity." James said.

Michelle started walking up onto the stairs.

"No, oh god no, please don't." I whispered.

"What is it." James asked.

"Excuse me. Excuse me, everybody. Excuse me. Excuse me. I just want to say, that if you're looking for the wee lezzer, look no further, because here she is." Michelle started. "Love women. Can't get enough of the ladies. Big fan of the fandango. Huge. Massive."

"Aye, so's me ma."

"Aye, good one."

"You're talking shite." I yelled.

"Fuck off then." Michelle replied, and walked back down the stairs to meet us.

-

I walked into the talent show with Michelle James and Erin. I could see Clare in front of us, but apparently we weren't talking to her. James then went to sit next to Clare, and I was lost about who to sit beside, I had my cousin and best friend on one side, and my friend and crush on the other, but I didn't want Michelle to suspect anything, so I just sat next to her.

"Now James isn't even speaking to me." Erin whined.

"Don't worry about James. James doesn't count." Michelle told her.

but James was all that counted. He always counted to me.

"You know, every year I sit backstage listening to the singers and it really makes me realise just how talented the professionals who originally recorded these tracks were. Now, who's on next?" Sister Micheal said. "Orla McCool."

Christ she wasn't, was she?

Then she came on with her aerobics outfit and her step board.

so aye, she was.

Orla started her routine, and it honestly was enjoyable to watch, but then everyone started laughing and Tiny fucking Tina was sitting in front of us.

"What's wrong with her, like?"

"She's such a dick." Tina replied.

"Yeah, she might be a dick. But she's my dick." Erin yelled.

"Actually, she's our dick." Claire stood up.

Then they both head to the stage where Orla was preforming.

"Oh, for fuck's sake." I hear Michelle say and get up too.

I look over at James and he nods his head, we too get up on the stage and then we all tried to copy Orla stepping, the lights come on and I can see Sister Michael genuinely smirk for once, no joking at all.

We go back to dancing on the stage with Orla, and while the other girls are jumping about, I feel two arms pick me up.

James.

***********************************

season 1 written in two days holy fuck.

(877 words)