twentyseven

Niamh's pov

After Erin spoke to John Paul she was in a rush to get home so we all parted ways and Erin basically dragged Orla and I home.

"This is a huge deal. This is a massive, massive deal. I'm going to the prom with John Paul O'Reily, for God's sake. Oh, come on, Mammy." Erin said.

Erin was begging Aunt Mary for a new dress, luckily I had gotten one for Christmas and didn't have to wear my Easter dress.

"I don't care if you're going to the prom with John Paul II, Erin. I'm not buying you another frock. End of story."

"But, Mammy, you don't understand."
Erin huffed.

"There's nothing wrong with your Easter dress."

"There is lots of things wrong with my Easter dress." Erin said.

"I mean, it matches Orla's." I reminded her, laughing.

"That being the main one."

"Honestly, Erin, I think we'll look so cracker if we both rock in wearing these." Orla told her.

"Right. Well, I don't."

"Och, Mary, you'd think the wean's been dropped into it. You wouldn't nip it in a bit for her? I'd do it myself but sewing plays havoc with my acrylics." Aunt Sarah asked.

"Fine."

"I really like this fella, Mammy." Erin told Mary.

"Well, if he really likes you, it won't matter what you wear."

"Och, come off it!"

"Have you a date lined up, Orla?" Aunt Sarah asked.

"I do, aye."

since when.

"What? With, like, a human?" Erin asked.

"Yeah." Orla mumbled.

-

We were all back in town, sitting on a bench, and Erin was still huffing about getting a new dress.

"I hate to do this, Clare."

"I've said it's fine."

"Really?"

"I'm happy for you."

"Okay, It's just, you don't sound happy for me." Erin said.

"Well, I am. I'm over the moon." Clare responded.

"Great, because me and John Paul are just at a really crucial point in our relationship."

"You've strong-armed him into taking you to the prom, Erin. Doesn't mean you're in a relationship." Michelle told her.

"We'll see about that."

"Hiya! So, this is where the gays hang out, is it? What's happening?" Mae appears.

"Erin's just sacked Clare as her prom date so she can take a fella she fancies." Michelle tells her.

"Bad craic, Erin. Very bad craic."

"That is not true."

"Isn't it?" James asked.

"Well, I mean, there is some truth in it"

"Come with me." Mae said.

"Really?"

"Really?"

"Really. It'll be a laugh. And I'm definitely an upgrade. Just a wee joke, there." Mae smiled.

"Yeah, it was. It was dead funny."