Chapter 27

--- 27 ---

PAUL:

Sitting on the hard, cold bench, head in my hands, I felt nauseated because of just what I saw... blood... pain... misery... helplessness! My heart pounded harder with every passing minute and my eyes gave up every time I closed them because I had witnessed a dreadful moment and I know it'll haunt me forever if something happened today...

I felt like crying on the shoulder that could feel the pain. Curling up in the embrace of someone who could protect me... but I felt just as helpless as I sat in front of the Intensive Care Unit.

Not knowing what to think or what I should think, I forced myself to just stop thinking anything at all. Because the more I tried to think of any possibility that everything will be fine... the more I was loosing hope on it.

I ran my hands through my cold wet hair, clutching them tightly as if I'd rip them off! I would only if it'd help reversing back everything that had happened. How can a perfectly normal day turn out to be so miserable? So helpless?

I was helpless! I couldn't do anything!

I couldn't do anything but just hold her in my embrace when she cried. I couldn't even stop them both from driving away in such a crazy rain. I couldn't do anything!

I couldn't do anything when I was holding Andy's weightless body watching Austin drowning in unconsciousness in the pool of his own blood on the road.

I just stood like a statue watching them being carried away in the ambulance.

They'd rolled them both in the hospital together. Andy's face looked so calm and peaceful like she was just sleeping. Just as looking at her gave me hope that it will soon be over and they'll be alright, Austin on the other hand was taking away that feeling. Too quickly!

I couldn't do anything when they'd rolled Austin in the hospital on the stretcher, which was red with his blood. I just followed after them like a walking dead body, keeping my eyes on his distraught face because there was nothing else I could see.

And I couldn't do anything when Austin drew a long breath just before they rolled him in the Intensive Care Unit and I instantly knew that was his last one because after that were just the shouting doctors - 'we're loosing him!' - and disgruntled nurses running here and there picking and handing instruments and tubes and things I couldn't even register because all I could see was my brother's pale bloody face with no life in him.

They had ripped his wet shirt off as soon as they scooped him on the bed, attaching so many wires to his body and injecting fluids in him. One of the doctors started hammering his hands on his bare chest to get his heart start again. The other placed a hand pumping oxygen bag over his mouth, pumping wildly.

With every pump of oxygen, I felt the numbness filling in me. I tried not to hear anything but it wasn't any use.

'...too much blood loss...'

'...can't make it...'

'...keep pumping...'

I felt like shouting and tell them he'll make it through! I flinched at my own unsure thought... Everyone was so busy over him that nobody noticed me that I've followed my brother in, witnessing a dreadful scene. I couldn't feel being pushed by the nurses out of their way just as they didn't see me standing there because of the panic.

I just stood there like a statue, unable to move a muscle. I felt like my heart had stopped and my breath was gone. I couldn't even blink my eyes because I felt if I did, I'd never see Austin's face again. 'Please Austin... wake up...' my mind was whispering slowly. I was unsure why it was just whispering.