Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

"Are ya sure this is what ya want, Ansel? Ya didn't even say goodbye to the lasses, ya great big coward. I'm sure even now they're cryin' their wee eyes out over ya. I know ya have always been a bit of a jackass but I never truly thought ya pure evil 'til now." 

"What the hell are you talking about?" Ance growled. "I didn't ask you to come with me and I wish you'd quit trying to be my second shadow." 

"After today I'll be the only person who wants to be around ya, Ansel. Ya need to get your arse back to that ranch and the two women that love ya." 

Ance rolled his eyes. "I plan on it! Damnation, Irish, why do you think I left so goddamn early? I'm going into town to pick up some traps for them damn coyotes and then I'll be heading back." 

Irish blinked several times from atop his horse. "Ya mean ya aren't leavin' for good?" 

"Hell no." Ance rubbed his neck. "I don't much care for sharing my feelings with you, but I need those two women, Irish, and I'm not too proud to admit that. I'm willing to give this settling down thing a try... given the amount of space and open sky at that ranch, it may not be so bad." 

Ance had been on his way to Penelope's bedroom last night, had been standing just out in the hall, when he'd heard mother and daughter talking. Their conversation had made Ance realize, more so than ever, that he couldn't leave them. While he didn't appreciate being compared to a bunny, he also knew that sometimes, just sometimes, wild mustangs could be tamed... it just had to be their choice and not something forced about them. 

Ance was choosing to stay. 

He rubbed his face tiredly as town appeared in the distance. He hadn't slept last night as he'd thought so hard about the future and kept watch for the coyotes to come back. Now he was exhausted and having to deal with civilization. He really didn't like towns and people. And this would be a town full of people who didn't realize he didn't' appreciate small talk, being told hello, waving or any other contact really unless it was necessary. 

Irish gasped and Ance quickly pulled his hand off his face. "What?" he demanded. 

Irish's eye's were wide as he pointed at Ance's hand. "What be that glitterin' bit of gold I see upon your finger...." 

Ance cursed. The darkness had kept it hidden before but now that the sun was rising of course Irish would spot the gold. Hell, he was an Irishman after all which meant he probably had a bit of leprechaun in him. 

Ance glanced down at the ring he'd purchased before they'd left Grandy. Yeah, even then he'd known deep down that he wouldn't be going anywhere. "That's proof of my intention to stay." 

"Did ya give Audrey one as well?" 

"She'll find it when she wakes up." 

"Ya mean ya did not speak with her? She didn't agree to wear your ring? Ya did not discuss things, Ansel?" 

Ance grumbled and urged his mare faster. "No, I didn't discuss things. If she doesn't want the damn thing she can take it off. Now shut the hell up, Irish, before I slam my fist into your gap-toothed face." 

***

Audrey woke the next morning with Penelope's elbow in her mouth. After disentangling herself from her slumbering daughter, Audrey rose from the bed and stretched out her back. She had animals to feed and chores to do since she'd given everyone else the day off. 

She wondered if Ance and Irish would be willing to lend a hand. She was certain Ance would but the thought of Irish carrying a feed bucket was nearly enough to make her laugh out loud.