Chapter Twenty Two

"Love is heaven, but it can hurt like hell."

● ● ●

22.
ALONE

Shock coursed through my veins, like blood flowing through my veins from every part of my body to my heart. Sana's parents and divorce. I never thought I'd ever hear these two things in the same sentence, and now that I did, my mind shut off and I stiffened like a statue.

Even though they weren't my own parents, I still felt pain in my heart upon hearing these words. As much as I knew them, they were so in love with each other. Whenever I went to their house, I could see that they were really the high school sweethearts that fell in love, and then, got married.

"Tell me this is not true."

My voice sounded foreign to my own ears.

Sana shook her head, tears flowing freely down her face. I felt like crying, but I couldn't. Not now when Sana needed me more than ever, and one of us had to stay strong. I hurriedly stood up from my seat, telling Seo Woo that Sana and I'll be in the car, and grabbing Sana's hand, I made my way to the parking lot.

After we had settled into the car, I hugged Sana tightly. She broke down, her tears soaking my coat, but I didn't care. Her body shaking due to sobs. I patted her back.

"It'll be alright." My voice was thick with emotion, the lump in my throat making it difficult to talk.

"I don't want them to separate, Eun Hee. I don't want my family to be broken," she said, her voice hoarse due to crying.

I don't want them to be broken like mine too.

"It'll be alright. I'm here for you, Sana. Always."

She nodded.

After almost 15 minutes, Sana had stopped crying. Seo Woo opened the door and climbed into the driver's seat. He turned back to look at us, his eyes worried as they fell upon a very quiet Sana. He looked at me, mouthing 'is she okay?', to which I nodded.

"So, where to now?" He asked.

"I will stay at Eun Hee's apartment," Sana whispered.

My apartment. Oh shit. Keys.

"About that... I kind of locked myself out of my apartment," I said, a sheepish smile on my face.

Seo Woo's eyes widened in amusement. Even Sana turned to look at me, her eyebrow raised.

"What? Don't look at me like that. I was so worried about Sana. I forgot to pick up the keys." I defended myself, although I could feel a blush threatening to coat my face in embarrassment.

A lazy smile spread across Sana's face and it made me happy. Whereas Seo Woo was trying so hard to hold his laughter. I narrowed my eyes at him, as if saying that 'if you laugh, I'll kill you.'

He raised his hands up in surrendering position.

"Well, to my house then," he said.