34

Bonnie walked away from Alexis and met with Arkyn downstairs. He looked at her sympathetically.
"You heard, huh?"
"Can't really turn off the ears." He said.
"I should go. Abby's still at Caroline's and Stefan was supposed to go over and take us to the coffin." Arkyn nodded and she quickly made her way out. She went to Caroline's house, where Stefan was waiting with her mother and he complained and snarked their entire journey to the caves.

"Slow down!" Her mother said, getting tired.
"Keep up, we don't have much time."
"Sorry Stefan," Bonnie apologised. "but I didn't have a choice."
"It was a choice Bonnie, you made it and now we have to live with it. You told Klaus where the coffins were and he took them. All of them except this one." He stopped and Abby peered into the cave where the coffin lay.
"That's the one that's sealed?"
"Yep. Fortunately it seems to be the one he cares about most." Bonnie stopped and glared at Stefan.
"You know what? Yes. I did make a choice. I made a choice to help you. I made a choice to not take out the dagger from the only brother the man I love adores. I made a choice to give up the location of the coffins knowing it would slim the chances of Ark getting back his brothers. So stop whining about how I messed up your plan, because we're all pretty much screwing over the one person who has helped each and every one of us." She continued to walk into the cave, leaving the vampire stunned. Abby followed Bonnie inside to the coffin. She noticed Stefan hadn't come in, and broke the silence.
"Aren't you coming inside?"
"Vampires can't get in. Damon had to compel a couple of Lockwood gardeners to bring the coffin in."
"This is a bad idea." She said.
"Look, if you're really the key to opening up that coffin, I think it's a pretty safe bet you're on Klaus's hit list. So I suggest you hide out here and figure out a way to open up the damn thing."
"I told you, I don't have any powers."
"And I don't believe you. But time's ticking. Won't be long before Klaus calls his hybrids to find that coffin and kill all of us. So dig deep, Abby Bennett. Scrape out whatever magic you have left." He stalked off, and Bonnie rolled her eyes.
"Who's Ark?"
"My boyfriend." Bonnie said, walking to the wall filled with the stories of the originals.
"I shouldn't be surprised that a girl as beautiful as you would have a boyfriend."
"There's a lot you don't know about me." Abby looked away as Bonnie glared. Bonnie got a text. "Damon needs us to unlock this coffin tonight. He and Stefan are going to stall Klaus at a dinner." She looked through her contacts and called Ark.
"Uh, hey." Arkyn said. "Everything okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. How are you and Lex?"
"Lex is... Lex, but we're okay. Elijah came round. Invited me to dinner."
"Yeah, he and Klaus are having dinner with the Salvatores. Are you going?"
"No thank you. I would very much rather be with Lex than dinner with those four."
"Okay, have fun."
"You as well. You have a chance to get to know your mother."
"What if I don't want to?"
"You could do a lot worse than your mom. Trust me."
"I'll think about it."
"Okay. I gotta go, before Lex throws me out of the window."
"Do I want to know?"
"Probably not. I should let you go, though."
"Love you." She said.
"Love you too." He replied and she hung up, turning back to her mother. Abby was looking up at the wall and she headed to the coffin, looking at the open grimoire on top of it.
"The boyfriend?"
"Yes." Bonnie said curtly. "Is this the only grimoire you kept?"
"It was the only one I needed." She said looking around at the marks on the wall. "So what is all of this?"
"Family history. About a mother, who loved her children so much, she couldn't bear the thought she might lose them. So she turned them into vampires. One of them is Klaus."
"The one you're trying to kill with whatever is in that coffin?" Bonnie nodded. "And your boyfriend's brother?"
"He doesn't like being referred to as Klaus's brother." She corrected. "There's nothing in here that's going to help us. I've seen most of these spells." She trailed her finger over a torn page. "What was this?"
"It's the spell I used to seal Mikael in the tomb. I burned it and tried to get it out of my head. Didn't work though." Abby walked around to take a look at the grimoire, and noticed something. "Wait, do you see this?"
"It's a sealing spell. We're trying to open something. Not seal it shut."
"No. Right here. On this side. It's a blood knot. It means to bind it you need two generations. A bloodline. Like, two keys to a safety deposit box."
"So, unbinding it... would reverse the spell. Unseal it. If we did it together." She realised and Abby nodded.
"Pretty much."
"Let's try it." Bonnie said, and she and Abby put their hands on the coffin, concentrating.

They tried again and again for an hour before the coffin almost opened. Turning away, she moved to text Damon, when the coffin opened, knocking out both she and her mother.