39

"I am all yours for the night." Arkyn vowed as he found his way back to Bonnie. "But Lex did promise me a dance, so other than that."
"You promise? Because if I remember correctly, you don't have the best track record when it comes to dances or parties."
"Well, I think we're past the whole we shouldn't be together thing, so as long as no one's plotting to kill anyone, tonight should go smoothly."
"Who are you trying to convince?"
"I'm serious." She looked at him, uncertainly before she noticed Caroline.
"Caroline's here." She waved at her friend before stopping as Klaus walked over to the blonde. "With Klaus?"
"Ark-" Rebekah sidled up to him. "It's time for Elijah's announcement." He looked at her for a second before his eyes lit up in understanding.
"No." He denied.
"Yes."
"What?" Bonnie asked.
"United front. She wants me up there too."
"Go." Bonnie said. "Then I'm holding you to your promise."
"See, she gets it." Rebekah said and pulled him along. "And fix that look on your face before mother sees."
"Welcome." Elijah began. "Thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance." Rebekah noticed the way her twin gazed out into the crowd, a small smile on his face. She followed his line of sight and saw Bonnie staring right back at him. Quelling the urge to roll her eyes, she looked out to see who else was out there. She saw Alexis, looking bored next to a boy, and Elena surprisingly standing alone. "Tonight's pick is a centuries old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom." The Mikaelsons walked down the stairs. Arkyn smiled at Bonnie who waved and gestured to Alexis. He nodded, and headed to her.
"May I have this dance, Lex?" Arkyn asked and she smiled.
"Yeah." She grabbed his hand and pulled him away. "Oh, thank god. I needed the rescue."
"What was wrong with him?"
"Honestly?" She sighed, glancing back at Jake, sadly. "Absolutely nothing. He was funny and sweet. He's cute, really good with a violin. He's actually pretty perfect." She sighed as they began the dance.
"But... Jeremy?" Arkyn questioned and she nodded.
"I've never been in love before. Not really. Boyfriends, sure. But I think I really loved Jeremy."
"I know, sweetheart."
"And I don't know the stupid steps to this stupid dance. How does everyone know how it goes?"
"Follow my lead. Mystic falls has a lot of these balls and dances." He smiled. "I guess they learned the steps a very long time ago."
"Boring. Do you remember when I was a kid? I used to stand on your feet and we'd pretend like I actually knew how to dance?"
"Oh, yeah. You'd be wearing your pretty dresses and all of them had a ribbon in the middle. Glad to see you haven't grown out of that." He twirled her.
"Never."
"You grew out of the bows though. If your mother hadn't stopped you, you'd be wearing like ten on half of your head."
"I was a kid." She laughed.
"Okay I'm gonna twirl you now and you're going to switch partners."
"Wait what?" Ark didn't give her much time as he twirled her away. He caught someone else in his arms and saw his sister.
"Hey Bex."
"I'm sorry." She said. "I didn't get to say it properly before, but I am. About the whole Mikael thing and everything."
"I was a little harsh on you."
"No you weren't. You were in your right."
"I shouldn't have said you weren't-"
"I deserved it." She cut him off. "I knew you hated him, I didn't know why, but it should've been enough."
"At least he's gone now. Forever."
"Yeah."
"Don't worry about it, sister."
"Heh." She sighed. "Easier said than done."
"Too bad, because I forgive you. So stop beating yourself up." She smiled at him as he twirled her.
"Someday," She started. "I'm going to ask for the full story."
"Not today." He said.
"Not today." She repeated and they switched partner. He ended up with Bonnie.
"Hello there." He smiled.
"Kol." She explained. He laughed.
"You know, I don't think I've told you how beautiful you look tonight."
"Yeah?" She started to smile.
"You look absolutely radiant."
"Thank you. I try."
"You don't need to."
"Smooth." She let him twirl her. "Do you just keep a bank of compliments on hand, ready to whisk out whenever?"
"Nah. I just look at you, and say how I feel."
"And how do you feel right now?" He didn't answer, and just pulled her closer to him, their faces inches apart, and placed her hand on his chest.
"Why don't you tell me?" She felt his heart beat, quickening.
"I love you." She said.
"I love you more."
"Not possible."
"Are you challenging me?"
"Well, someone's got to keep you on your toes."
"And I suppose that someone is you?"
"Might as well be." She shrugged. He led her off the dance floor.
"I wouldn't have it any other way."
"Abby wants to meet you." She said, suddenly.
"Your mom?"
"Yeah."
"Sure."
"You know she was the one to do the desiccation spell on Mikael?"
"That makes sense."
"How?"
"Your grams was the one who told me where Mikael was. She told me he came after Elena as a kid, but I didn't know it was your mom who put him down."
"What else did my grams tell you?"
"She was incredibly descriptive of what would happen to me should any harm befall you because of me." He winked and she couldn't help but laugh.
"Yeah, that's grams." They were walking through the house when they came across Finn.
"Bonnie, you haven't officially met Finn yet, have you?" He asked and she shook her head no. "Finn, this is Bonnie. Bonnie, this is my eldest brother. Finn."
"It's a pleasure to meet you." He greeted, holding out his hand.
"Nice to meet you too." She shook it. "I've heard a lot about you."
"All good, I hope."
"Absolutely."
"Good, I hope you enjoy the ball." He nodded and walked away. She looked at Arkyn who shrugged.
"He's not really a man of many words."