Chapter 1

“What do you want to do now, Alexis?” My mother, Alexandrea, asked me with a radiating fear flashed across her face.

I shook my head. I have nothing in my mind right now. What the use of rummaging around; wandering to see different types of people? After hearing the news of Tito Achilles, my doctor, who happened to be my uncle, that I had this rare disease. Looking around, I wondered if I would remember these things tomorrow. I wondered if I still remember my parents tomorrow. I always wondered.

Looking to the herons that were flying across the clear blue sky—clouds were not visible in sight, I thought of the days when I was still normal, when I was still the same Alexis they used to know. However, the acidic thought of me having this fucking disease nudged the hell of me making me want to hurl myself or even hurt myself. I was a burden now. Even I can work my ass off whole day, the next day I always ended up with nothingness—all my thoughts were blank as though my memories had been corrupted.

Grasping tightly to the white sheet of my hospital bed, I felt the warmth of a hand that lie on my hand. Tumingin ako sa kaniya at nakita ko ang aking inang naluluha habang nakatingin sa akin. I felt my heart constrict. I was then the very famous Alexis Del Castro, the son of the owner of Del Castro General Hospital and the President of the WHO— World Health Organization. My parents and other relatives were doctors or if not, their career would always be aligned with our Family’s career. Although I will not follow their steps.

I just hoped that I will not forget those things after this day. After several hours, I was already alone in my room. Neither my friends nor my girlfriend dared to visit me today. I didn’t really know what happened yesterday but my Mom told me that I shouted at them and told them I didn’t need any of them. I was upset of myself. The idea of repelling my girlfriend, Jillianne, away from me piqued me. I may be not in love with her or as smitten as her with me, I still had the conscience over my action towards her. I was seldom forgot my friends— even my relatives but after a day, I would remember them as though there was nothing happened. Right now, I was in oblivion of what I was suffering right now.

The only memories that were clear right now was the day before the accident. I still remembered the things I did before I went to a bar. A day after the accident, I was debating over petty thing— or at least that was my term now— with my Father. He wanted me to be a doctor, a neurologist, but that profession doesn’t nudge my sense of interest. I wanted something, I wanted something that was far from their will. But right now, I think even their will would not be granted due to my fucking condition. A debacle— my Father would call it. He wasn’t very pleased of what I had become— he was never pleased of whatever I did to my life anyway.

The opened window of my hospital room made the wind to whirl around in every corner. The lonely sky reflected what I was feeling right now. The  reverberating thud of the heels of nurses against the tiled floor made me a bit bothered. Their muffling voices laced with frantic intensity. They were all bombarded with torrent of works and the gaunt patients were waiting for their assistance. The darkness of dusk almost wore on, I wanted to roam around but something within me was pulling me to stay on bed. I didn’t know what was the reason why I needed to stay in this hospital, it seemed to be an asylum to me.

A sweet chuckle from outside raided my mind. The sound of the woman’s chuckle astound me. Lalo na no’ng nagsalita na siya. Her voice was as lovely as angel’s. Her chuckle was like a music— sending me some sort of relief. Who was that woman? I rose from bed, my face was all directed to my door. I wanted to see that woman. I frantically stood up when the voice was slowly fading. Immediately, I jumped out of my bed and dashed to the door. I cranked it open. However, despite the fast movement I exerted, the panorama of busy and serious hospital nurses  welcomed me. I craned my neck from left to right, expecting something to be caught. But then, the hallways were left of only set of nurses and series of busy murmurs. The sweet voice of a woman was now nowhere to be found.

“Sir, do you need anything?” a nurse approached me.

Looking at her; I knew that she had seen the joined confusion and excitement in my expression. I was, in a sudden, put in a dilemma if I will ask if she had seen the girl giggling sweetly alone the hallway or just ignore her question— like what I usually do. In the end, I opted to do the latter and receded to my room. Bakit ba kasi ang bagal kong kumilos? If I had moved faster, I would have seen her face. I would have seen if she was as lovely as her voice!

But then, because of my stubborn ass and my curiosity, I stormed out of my room to find that sweet voice and overwhelming chuckle. Mabuti nalang at wala na ‘yung nurse, I can freely do whatever I wanted. Sometimes, I hated the nurses here, they always reported what I did! Back to my main purpose, I looked at the empty hallway. I knew that it was impossible to see that woman in this six story hospital building with a width of God knew what. I just shook my head. Why would I have to find her? I didn’t even know her. Was this an effect of the medicines I was taking? I belched for the second time as I spun around and almost jumped off my feet when a girl with a deep set of expressive almond shaped eyes, a chocolate brown wavy hair, and a fair skin with an expanse of 5’7”, she looked so delicate and fragile, welcomed me.

“Para ka namang nakakita ng multo,” she said with a mocking tone on her voice.

Nanlaki ang aking mga mata. That voice. Hindi ako pwedeng magkamali. Her voice was the same as the sweet voice I had heard awhile! Lumapit ako sa kaniya. Her voice and lovely chuckle were fit to her beauty. She was one of a hell beauty! Kumunot ang kaniyang noo.

“Hi,” I said, a bit fascinated with her bewildered face.

“Hello?” she chuckled, “Ang weird mo naman. Hmm, may itatanong lang sana ako, have you seen a notebook? I think I lost it somewhere here,”

Kumunot ang aking noo, “A notebook?”

She nodded, “Yup. Uh… it was my journal kasi. Hmm, I think you haven’t seen it.”

She was about to spin around when I stopped her. “Wait,”

Tinignan niya ako nang nakangiti, “Bakit?”

“I can help you find it.”

She smiled, “Sure. I also think I need someone.”