Chapter 10

July rolled on without me noticing it. Ariellè and I welcomed the month together and it was different from all the memories I had with other girls. My condition was still the same though my parents were doing an experiments and tests for the cure of my condition. However, I didn’t usually think of my state as for the moment. Seize the day. I wanted to make all my memories worth it— and to make it worth it was to make a memories with Ariellè. As usual, Ariellè was as reticent as before. She didn’t want to talk about her condition and every time I tried to ask it in a subtle way, she won’t falter to swerve the topic. I remembered what she had said before— the first time we met—she told me that she had a mild fever. It was actually ridiculous of me to believe her. Mild fever but she was confined? I think I needed to sort my thoughts off because I was being a lout when I was in front of her.

1st day of July wasn’t pleasing. It started the wet season so it restrained us to go to the rooftop. Through the glass wall of my room,  I could see the bank of clouds that mustered together to create an undefined shape. The wind was brisk and cold so all of the staffs were wearing their scarfs and jackets. I didn’t feel cold so I opted to just wear my usual hospital gown though my mother told me that I can wear my casual clothes now. Last week, my friends visited me and I was about to introduce Ariellè to them when they bid their goodbyes because of their summer job.

That time, I was contemplating of the things that I might be doing if I were not put in this kind of  situation. Few months ago, I couldn’t fully accept the fact that I was the reason why I had this kind of abnormality. I heaved a sigh and repelled the topic that began to suffuse an enough amount of remorse on my mind. I bit my lower lip as I stared at the vicinity out of the glass-wall— it was like a panorama of mixed qualities. My compulsion to get out of the hospital skyrocketed but there was one reason why I couldn’t do it. Ariellè.

Ariellè was here. Ariellè was here to heal and I didn’t want to go out without her. Honestly, since I met Ariellè, all the happy moments I had with other girls; the satisfying pleasure I shared with them couldn’t surpass the overwhelming felicity I had every time I was with Ariellè. Her smile can give a contentment within me, her laughs can give a pleasure— more than the pleasures I got in my previews sex activities with other girls. I craned my neck to see the notebook where I was scrawling all the events happened in my life. She told me that I should be the one who was writing on it thus I did the work. It was fine with me because I could write all the thoughts playing on my head— my thoughts and my feelings for her.

The creak of the door made me recoil. I looked at the nurse who was wearing a knitted long sleeved shirt and a paper-thin scarf coiled around her neck. Her hair was tucked thoroughly that it shone even under the faintest light from elsewhere. She beamed at me after she placed the medicines I needed to take for this morning. I just nodded as a sign of acknowledging her presence and after which, I averted my gaze. Ariellè was not yet here though I won’t react the way I reacted before. She told me that she’ll undergo some tests so I understood. But something was piquing my bubble of calmness. What was really her condition? If I were to have a knack, I would have searched every detail of her condition. But then, I was just a patient— despite the position of my parents, the hospital held an unyielding principles and policy for their benefactors or patients.

When the nurse emerged from the room, that was a cue to take my medicines. I rose from bed and turned to the bedside table. After I swallowed the medicines, I sighed and glimpsed on the digital clock. Damn, Alexis, don’t be such a kid. Ariellè will be here so keep yourself together, I whispered as a smile stretched through my lips. When the door creaked to open again, I didn’t bother to look who was it. Maybe it was just a nurse or my relatives or—

“Alexis!” a shout from a familiar male voice resounded in the room.

Parker, a friend who went from America for his studies, entered the room. He was wearing a navy blue hood jacket and a ball cap. Oh, he was here? Well, before George and Tim, Parker was my partner in crime. Though this guy was just so loyal with her girlfriend— ex girlfriend because they broke up for some reason. He was exactly my opposite. There was also a time he dissuaded me to flirt with other girls because I was dating Miranda, a model of one of those prominent teen clothing lanes. I always laughed at him because of his faithfulness towards his girlfriend that even me he wanted to follow his dictum of perfect love story. Even I was irritated with him some of the time because of his attitude, I still considered him as my brother in different mother. This bastard had lots of things to tell me.