Chapter 2

She was different from the woman I had met. That was what I thought the moment she started to narrate her wonderful stories in life. I didn’t even notice that she was also wearing a hospital gown like me. I had asked her what was her condition why she was here but she was just telling me that it was just a mild  fever and a sort of vague smile crossed her lovely face. She was totally an enticing gal arousing my sense of astonishment within the pit of my stomach. Her life was wonderful— the way she talked about it, it sent me a feeling of envious. Compared to her life, mine was ho-hum. With the silver and golds on hand ever since I was born, I can get every thing I coveted, and girls were flocking on my feet, doing some animated actions, just so they would make me imbue with them. All of it was as plain and dull.

She was Ariellè Kelsi Tejano, 17 years of age, studying at La Salle, taking up Bachelor of Elementary Education and she was here in our hospital for unknown reason— well, she had no reason to tell me what was she doing here. She even told me that she had a little crush towards her seatmate in her Field of Study subject and confessed in months ago and they became an item for only two weeks because they did not click. Well, even the span of their relationship was ephemeral, I could say that he was a lucky asshat. She also told me that she wasn’t that very sociable before but because of her profession, it helped her to become what she was right now. She wanted to follow the steps of her parents. Her mother was a professor IV in their department and his Father was the dean. She was the only child and I wondered if there was a time in her life that she felt empty; she felt something was missing. But then, the way she kept the smile on her bow-like lips, I already knew what was the answer to my question.

I was restraining myself to let a chortle when she admitted that she had done something against the will of her parents. It was just once though she seemed very guilty. The hallway we were pacing of was empty, only the fluorescent light draped atop us. We almost rummaged the entire floor but we hadn’t seen her journal.

“What’s the content of your journal? It seemed very, very important to you?” I asked.

She blanched, “I had scrawled there my personal secrets.”

“Personal secrets?”

She nodded enthusiastically, “On my own perspective there were these kinds of secrets: Personal Secret, Friends  Secret, Boyfriend-Girlfriend Secret, and Family Secret.”

Hindi ko na napigilan, I laughed at her thoughts. Damn, girl, you were making me out of my senses. Mayroon palang gano’n? I didn’t even think of that ever since. Personal secrets, huh?

“Your personal secrets like crushes?”

She nodded, “Yup! What if someone saw it and read the content of it? Paano kung si Ares ang makabasa?”

“Ares?” kumunot ang aking noo.

“My crush.” She rolled her eyes, “I would probably rip myself off.”

“You’re only seventeen, and you seemed to have plenty of crushes.” I couldn’t help but to comment.

She scrunched up her nose, “It’s just a crush. It’s a normal tendency of a teenager to admire someone.” She stated, “Ikaw, ilang taon ka na?”

“18,”

“And you are taking up?”

“I stopped. I can’t decide which would I take.” I admitted.

Her mouth formed an ‘o’.

“Maybe you’re in some sort of dilemma? The career you want or the career your parents want?”

Nagulat ako dahil sa pagiging tama niya. I looked at her with stupefied expression etched in every corner of my face. She chuckled and nudged my waist.

“Don’t be shocked. Gano’n naman kadalasan ang problema ng mga kabataan. Sometimes your parents’ will doesn’t fall into yours. That disappoints you, however, you still consider their decision.” She smiled, “You can’t express your disappointment to anyone neither to your parents. That upsets you, I can see. I suggest that you should try to write it on a journal, write whatever you want to tell them, write your thoughts, write everything that bothers you.”

I upped my brows to her, “You think it will work?”

“In my case, yes. Why don’t you give it a try?”

“Journals are for girls.”

She winced at my sentence, “Sexist,”

“I am not. I just find it girly.” I pouted, “Why wouldn’t you just write it for me? I will tell you everything about myself?”

“Wow. I mean, you sure? Journal is like a diary. I will know your secrets.”

“I have nothing to be ashamed of myself.” I said cockily, “May 24, 2019, I met Ariellè or Ari.”

She rolled her eyes, “Aww. Okay, once I found my journal, I will start to write yours. I have a spare notebook in my room.”

We were walking through the hallway towards the rooftop when I saw a pink stringed notebook with Hello Kitty that was placed on the bench. Before I could utter a word, the woman beside me dashed off frantically to the notebook and screamed out of relief. Unaware, I didn’t notice my lips stretched across my face because of her adorable reaction. Did this woman have flaws? She was perfect. Her adorable and perky personality nudged the ball of admiration within me.

“Hoy, kanina ka pa nakatitig sa akin, a? Galaw galaw naman diyan, papi, baka mastiffneck ka.” She teased me and lunged to my part.

“Did anyone tell you how adorable you are?” I asked her.

She shrugged, “My family had told me about that countless times.”

“They are right though,”

“Don’t flirt with me,”

I smirked, “I am not,”

“Really? Because I am not buying it, Mr. Del Castro. I’ve caught you enormous times looking at me.” Her brows wiggled, “And you also said I’m adorable.”

“Because you really are.”

She shook her head, “Ingatan mo lang sarili mo. Delikado ka pag nahulog ka sa akin.”

Kumunot ang aking noo, “Why? Do you have a boyfriend.”

“I wish that’s my reason.” She dismissed. Something in her eyes that she was trying to shroud by her enthusiastic smile. “Okay, I think I am so wanted in my room right now. Hmm, ganito nalang, let’s just see each other tomorrow. You know, I am bored in this building. I need a new person to talk with.”

“Good thing you asked me to see each other again. That’s what I’m going to do if you hadn’t asked me.”

“Thanks for me guts, then.” She giggled, “Okay, Alexis. See you tomorrow. I just hope you’ll never forget me like everyone does.”

She waved her hand and trotted away from me. May sasabihin pa sana ako dahil baka nga… baka nga makalimutan ko siya bukas. Baka makalimutan ko ang kaniyang pangalan… baka makalimutan ko ang araw na ito.

“Ariellè. I will do my best to not forget that beautiful name.” I whispered and spun around.