Chapter 9

The next day I waited. My memories did not yet back but I was okay with it. As the morning rolled on and the orange shaft of the sun started to dress the sky, the shadows in the room began to diminish as I stared expectantly to the door. It was already seven in the morning but the sun had just been risen. It was 13th of June and the essence of it was already palpable through the sultry wind. All were busy for the summer breaks and there were some students who were doing their immersions. Last night, I couldn’t sleep, I was thinking what happened to her why she folded painfully as though there was something stabbed on her chest. The grisly scenario kept on playing on my mind while the time kept on moving on.

Up until now, I was still oblivious about her condition. She didn’t want to talk about it so I had to accept it even my nudging curiosity was on its peak. There was no word that was written on my journal about her illness. Nor did she even tell me about it. She was reticent and I respected it. But if she won’t show up right now, I will do what I had to do. Honestly, what happened to her yesterday made me angst. The storm of wanting to see her right away flourished as I flitted my eyes to the clock. It was 8 o’clock and Ariellè was not yet here. Was that heartburn made her so weak? I wanted to know.

When the door creaked to open, the feeling of being restive had dissipated and the sense of anticipation heightened. But when I saw my mother walked in the room, the enthusiasm that lodged on my chest suddenly disappeared. But an idea got in my mind when I looked at her laboratory gown. My mother was a doctor and she had the position on this hospital so she had an access with the files and patients here. She knew Ariellè and I knew she sensed something about my feelings for Ariellè. Mother was smiling as she lunged to my part.

“How’s sleep?” she asked, smiling.

I shrugged, “It went well,”

“Your eyes said otherwise,”

It was not surprising to hear that from her. I couldn’t sleep last night so I was aware of the dark circles under my lids and the bloodshot of my eyes. I heaved a sigh as I moved a little bit to rise. She tried to help me but I hovered up my hand— a tacit sign of disapproval. She came to a halt and smiled at me. It made me annoy every time they were treating me as though I was going to die tomorrow. Come on, I was just having this rare stupid illness that made my brain haywire— abnormal. Right now, I was okay— the wounds were healed and I could even bang my head. But then they opted to put me here as though I was inept socially and I was a disease that could stain our family name.

“Mom,” I called.

She looked at me, “Yes, honey?”

“You know Ariellè, right?”

A genuine smile etched on her lips before she spoke, “Yes, why?”

“Do you know where she is? I mean, what is her room-number?”

Her eyes widened but she immediately pushed it away to feign a serious look.

“I don’t know, son.” She answered at averted her gaze.

I squinted.

“Can you ask your colleagues?”

She shook her hear, “Bawal. I already did that before when you were looking for her and I learned that her families— with Ariellè’s consent— wanted to keep her room private.”

“B-but…”

“Why are you asking, anyways?”

“I just want to see her. She seems not to come here today.” My voice was drowned with pure loneliness.

“Maybe she needed to take rest? She’ll visit you for sure.”

I nodded, trying to pacify myself using those words from my mother. A moment later, she excused herself because she needed to attend her patient. Silence was the one who sat on the atmosphere while I was diving into my ocean of thoughts. I couldn’t help but to deem about Ariellè and why she was not yet here. Taking a deep breath, I summoned all the strength I had to stand and emerged from my room. The hallway was like a beehive with nurses, doctors, and patients moving hastily. Almost all the nurses I was passing by couldn’t just stay still, instead, they always smile at me as though I was one of the bosses. I knew that my Father was the CEO of this Hospital but I didn’t want to exploit that title in my own vantage. It was father’s title, not mine.