Chapter 16- Get Well Soon

The next morning we'd gotten ready to go pay a visit to Alex at the hospital in Detroit. Our flight had landed over 2 hours ago but we'd stopped on the way to the florists to take some flowers for Alex as suggested by Damon, to make everything appear casual.

"I really think we should've told Celia about this," I whispered to Damon whilst trying to pick a bunch of flowers.

"You checked up on her didn't you?" He asked.

I nodded.

"What did you say to her, where we were going?" He questioned.

"We had to go run some errands and we'd be back by night so she needn't go anywhere and if anything happened she just needed to give me a call or text." I replied.

"Good. You're learning," he smirked.

I elbowed him in the side.

"Do you know how bad I felt having to lie to her? Plus as soon as this over I never want to be seen with you ever again," I muttered in annoyance.

After we finally managed to pick a bouquet of flowers we headed to get to the hospital. There were still many police cars parked outside, every time the siren went off it still made me flinch. At the reception Damon asked for Alex's room and ward number.

"I'm sorry sir but I'm afraid no visitors are allowed today," another lady came up from behind the receptionist and informed.

"But I really need to see him you see I need to go back to New York today and I can't leave without seeing him," Damon pleaded.

"I'm sorry son we can't it's hospital policy," she replied.

Damon kicked at the desk angrily before making for the entrance. However, just then I caught a glimpse of Alex's mum, she'd just walked out of the escalator and was walking towards the water fountain. Quickly I grabbed onto Damon's arm.

"Damon look," I indicated. "Alex's mum."

His gaze followed mine until he saw her. Slowly we waited for her to walk to the escalators as we followed her keeping hot on her heels. We continued following her, Damon keeping his head down so he doesn't get noticed, until we finally reached the ward Alex was on. His mum walked to the end of the floor and disappeared behind a curtain which was being guarded by the police.

"Now what do we do?" I asked Damon.

"We wait for her to leave then we go in," he suggested.

So that's what we did, we waited on the bench outside flicking through a magazine, waiting for his mum to leave.

"Hey I know you!" A voice sounded from above startling us.

Damon sat upright in his seat.

"Hi Mrs Cooper" he cleared his throat.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Erm.. well... my mum was a little ill so I came to check in on her," he lied.

"Oh hope she's fine," she responded. "And who's this young lady you have with you?"

"Erm... girlfriend," he laughed nervously as I threw him a look.

"Was going to say, haven't seen her around." She answered. "You know you've got to be careful nowadays with the people you stick with. You see my son Alex. He used to go school with you, an innocent lad never ever would anyone have thought that he'd be locked up in prison for being an accomplice to a murder and all down to a "friend" of his. I always knew there was something wrong with that Ford girl, never seemed the decent type. My son is innocent, she's the one they should be after."