XXI.

DANCING WITH DRAGONS | XXI.
"THE DRAGON HAS THREE HEADS"
( 'THE PRINCE THAT WAS PROMISED' )

"THE DRAGON HAS THREE HEADS"( 'THE PRINCE THAT WAS PROMISED' )

"I won't do it," Alysanne protested.

"Alysanne-"

"No father," Alysanne says looking up at her father, "I was never meant to be queen."

Ned sighs as he looks at his daughter, "You will have to marry eventually."

"Then marry me to a northern house, but do not send me to the south," Alysanne told him, "Because I would rather die than marry Joffrey Baratheon."

"Don't say that," her father told her.

"But I mean it," Alysanne said, "Let Sansa marry him. She would make a great queen, and if anyone wants to escape Winterfell, it's her."

Ned watched her before a small smile came on his lips. It was a rare sight for Alysanne to see her father smile. He was such a serious man, but he did smile, and it was a special smile, reserved for his children.

"You remind me of my sister," Ned said. It wasn't the first time Alysanne had heard the comparison.

"Ser Rodrick says I ride like her," Alysanne says, "Maester Luwin says I look like her."

Ned laughs, "Lyanna was as headstrong as you are. Tell me, how are your lessons with Robb?"

Alysanne's cheeks flushed red with embarrassment. Her father wasn't supposed to know about those. Alysanne and Robb practiced sword fighting at dawn, while most of the castle still slept.

"They're going well," Alysanne told him.

"And your archery lessons with Arya?" Ned asked knowingly, causing Alysanne's blush to deepen.

"She's improving," Alysanne muttered.

Ned nods, "I will not be marrying you to Joffrey. You're too wild for the south. My father failed to see that with Lyanna, but I won't let you suffer the same fate."

Alysanne smiled gratefully at her father.

"Go on," Ned said, "I believe you have stitching lessons to skip."

"You know me so well father," Alysanne said.

Alysanne awoke with a fright, breathing heavily. Despite the freezing temperatures, Alysanne's body was drenched in sweat. She had dreamt of her father before, but this hadn't felt like a dream. It felt like she was there with her father again. That she could touch him.

Alysanne got out of her bed and rushed down the hall to the room where Lyarra was sleeping. She didn't knock on the door, instead, Alysanne allowed herself in and found Lyarra sitting by the fire in her room.