Chapter 3: Late Night Encounters

Hermione felt guilty for disappointing Mrs. Weasley but sucked it up and hid her feelings. She didn't feel hungry anymore and put her cutlery down. She waited in silence until dinner ended. Nobody seemed to notice that something was off with her, at least that's what she thought. Charlie eyed her throughout dinner. Her hand began to shake slightly under the table, so she clenched it to a fist. Once again, she felt weak and powerless. Suddenly Molly spoke up.

"Hermione, dear you look pale. Are you alright?"

It took a moment for Hermione to respond.

"I'm fine." She tried to convince everyone and herself. "Just a bit tired. I should be going to bed."

She excused herself and went up to Ginny's room after everyone bid her good night. The young witch got ready for bed, hoping to get some sleep.

She woke up in the middle of the night. Immediately she heard hushed whispers in her head. Slowly she turned her head to see if Ginny was still sleeping soundly, she was of course. She turned back and tried to fall asleep again. After an hour of laying awake, she decided to get a glass of water from downstairs. She sneaked down the stairs, not wanting to wake anybody. Suddenly she heard movement from the living room. Startled she turned around only to find Charlie sitting on the couch with his back to her, watching the fire that was at the end of the room. A sigh of relief escaped her lips. Suddenly Charlie whipped around with a scared expression.

"Merlin's pants! Hermione you scared me!" He exclaimed.

Hermione looked at him apologetically.

"Sorry."

"What are you doing up?" Charlie asked and Hermione shrugged.

"Couldn't sleep." She finally answered although she would have loved to say something along the lines: I hear these voices in my head. I think I am going mad. "You?"

"It's just...just strange to be back, I guess."

She nodded in understanding. He then patted the spot beside him and told her to sit down. After she sat, he asked.

"So, tell me what's going on in the brilliant mind of Hermione Granger?"

Hermione chuckled at him and awkwardly leaned back.

"Nothing really." She lied.

Charlie shook his head.

"What about you Charlie, tell me something about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" He asked barely able to hide his smile.

"Everything." Hermione said.

"Only if you tell me about yourself too." He replied.

Hermione rolled her eyes but nodded.

"Well, I am 24 years old, I love animals especially dragons, I love playing Quidditch and I have quite a few tattoos, but don't tell mum." He winked. "Your turn."

"I'm 17." Well with the help of a time turner. "I love reading and books, obviously. I also love learning new things."

He chuckled.

"So, I have heard."

Hermione eyed him suspiciously.

"You are mentioned in almost every letter my family sends."

Hermione's cheeks went slightly pink. Charlie thought it was adorable.

"Only good things, I hope?"

He chuckled again.

"Well there was one letter from little Ronniekins, something about a broom and Harry not being able to play Quidditch."

Hermione groaned.

"I hoped that it would never come up again."

"Please do explain."

So, Hermione told him everything about the Sirius Black incident and how mistaken everyone was.

"Well and Remus is hiding out with Sirius." Hermione finished with a yawn.