4. The New Moon

(Freshman year: Forth's POV)

Forth readjusted his tie for probably about the twentieth time since he had put in on. He hated having to wear a necktie but since it was a part of the school uniform, he really didn't have much choice. He used the pamphlet that was given to him upon entering the track stadium to fan himself. Of all the days to be sitting outside for a meeting, why did his seniors have to choose today? It had to be at least 95 degrees and it wasn't even noon yet.

"Excuse me...excuse me. Pardon. Sorry about that." Forth could hear a lot of shuffling going on as someone behind him tried to get by. He was about to turn to see who it was when that very person fell into his back.

"You stepped on my foot!" A girl shrieked.

"Don't worry. For you, I'll give you a free foot massage." He tried to flirt. The girl scoffed in disgust and gave her hair a defiant toss as she turned away. The boy laughed it off as Forth gave him a solid shove off of him.

"Oh, sorry about that." The boy said, and he began dusting Forth off. Forth pushed his hands away after a while.

"Um, thanks...I think I'm clean now."

The boy stopped dusting and smiled. "Heeeyyy, you're pretty handsome. I bet you you'll be chosen as the Moon of our faculty this year."

"The what?" Forth frowned in confusion.

"The Moon. For the Moon and Star Pageant."

Forth blinked at him.

"Don't you know what it is? The university has this pageant every year. No one in my family has ever been a Moon or a Star, but it's a really popular competition. Didn't you read the pamphlet?"

Forth looked at the pamphlet that was now crumpled up in his hand. Before he could begin to unfold it, the boy snatched it.

"See? They even have photos." He began flipping through it. "One Moon and one Star to represent the university every single year. This is the 30th year. You see these guys from previous years?" He pointed as he leaned in closer. But Forth never got to see because as quickly as he leaned in, the boy snatched the pamphlet back to continue flipping through it. "Look how handsome these guys are. And you can tell they're tall. The Moons are always extremely handsome. You could totally be the Moon this year!"

Forth had no clue what this guy was talking about. Who was he anyway?

"Who are you?" Forth asked him bluntly.

The kid finally looked up from the pamphlet. "Oh, sorry. I guess I never introduced myself. My name is Oat. Nice to meet you...?"

"Forth."

"Nice to meet you, Forth!" He grinned.

"And you're wrong about one thing. I definitely won't be a Star."

"Moon. Guys are Moons. The girls are Stars."

"Well, I won't be that either."

"Why not?? You've got the looks. And I'm sure you're smart; how else would you make it into the school of engineering? And you have this vibe....this...this bad boy vibe. People like that. Look at your face. I bet you've never smiled a day in your life."

Again, who was this kid and why did he talk so much??

"I smile when it's necessary."

Oat stared at him and began to slowly nod his head as a smile crept up his face. "Yeeaaa, you'll definitely be the faculty Moon for this year."

Forth shook his head and looked away. But not before snatching back the crinkled up pamphlet. He started to fan himself again.

Oat looked out and around at the people in the stands. Engineering freshman were still working their way into the stadium trying to find an empty place to sit. Suddenly, Oat jumped up.