11. Taking Chances

Beam turned his face up toward the sky, closed his eyes and sighed. It was such a nice day out today. Even though the sun was strong, the weather wasn't too hot and the gentle breeze every now and then made everything just feel wonderful.

"Weather like this makes me want to just take a nap. I feel so lazy." Beam said.

"It is really nice out, isn't it." Kit said more like a statement than a question.

Both boys looked over at Phana who seemed to be deep in thought. He got like this sometimes. He would just tune them out and stare off at nothing. Of course when this did happen, Beam and Kit knew he was just thinking about Wayo.

"Something on your mind, Boss?" Kit asked.

"Or should we say, someone?" Beam smirked and wiggled his eyebrows as he stepped closer to Phana. Phana lightly pushed him away.

"Get outta here, Beam. I'm not thinking about Nong Yo."

"Aha! I never said any names. So you were thinking about him then." Beam jumped back in his face. "Phana and Wayo sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes-"

SMACK!

"Ayyyee! What was that for??" Beam yelled, stopping in his tracks.

"Shut up sometimes." Phana said flatly and walked on, leaving Beam standing there rubbing his head.

Kit followed after him laughing obnoxiously. Beam jumped at him and grumbled under his breath.

They were getting closer to the canteen when they heard, "Hello P's!"

All three of them turned to see Ming running towards them.

"Nong Ming? What are you doing over here?" Beam asked him.

Ming's eyes flitted over toward Kit but quickly came back to Beam. Kit was standing there, tense, with the tips of his ears turning bright pink.

"Sawatdee khrap P's. I need to ask you for a favor please."

"A favor? Are we your friends? Where is your little friend anyway? Get him to do the favor for you."

Beam looked at Phana and rolled his eyes. He was clearly trying to get Ming to tell him where Yo was. And it worked.

"My friend?....Oh! You mean Wayo. He's still in class." Ming checked his watch. "But he should be getting out in about five minutes...you know...if you were looking for him." Ming added slyly. Beam tried to hide his smile. So Ming knew how to toy with Phana too, huh.

"I'm not looking for him." Phana said grumpily. Kit coughed, not so discreetly, at Phana's lie. But his cough caused Ming to look at him.

"Hello P'Kit."

Kit seemed caught off guard that Ming spoke directly to him. He cleared his throat and gave him a brief head nod.

"Your uniform is looking extra crisp today. You must have known you would see me." He joked.

Beam's eyes widened and he looked from Kit, back to Ming. Kit's face instantly turned pink as he scowled and stomped off.

"Okay. Talk to you later!" Ming called out after him. Kit walked faster.

Phana and Beam watched him go then turned back to Ming.

"What's your favor?" Beam asked him.

"I'm looking for my senior P'Forth but I missed him after his earlier classes today. I need to give him back the notes he let me borrow." Ming took his bag off his shoulder and started rummaging through it. Eventually he pulled his hand out filled with papers. "I know he usually eats lunch around this time but I have to hurry to class. I'm already late. Could you please give these to him when you see him?" He held out the papers to Beam.