III

***

The dense jungles were burning down in blue flames

The dense jungles were burning down in blue flames. The tall trees fell one after another, consumed by the fire. Smoke filled the clear sky, and it smelled of ash and barbecue.

Claret stood in the centre of the forest fire, swinging his sword horizontally. His eyes glimmered with white light as he stared down at the half burnt face of Backlion smiling, showing his white teeth.

"Claret... it's me, Backlion."

Backlion coughed. The tips of his long hair were burnt away, and the left side of his face was black, and the flesh was swollen pink.

His lab coat was torn, revealing his muscular arms that were coated in burns. His forearms bled and swelled the most while his chest was peeling away and running with sweat.

His legs shook while fire lashed at his bruised shins. Backlion walked over to Claret who put down his sword.

"My vanguard." Claret said, lessening the intense fires. "If I knew you were here, I wouldn't have destroyed this jungle."

"You and me both know you would've either way."

"...Abyss Healer, heal him."

"Who is he exactly, Master?"

"The most reliable ally."

Backlion coughed again, and Abyss Healer held her hands out, which were glowing with green mana.

The mana particles were attracted to the burns and swelling, healing the pain and closing the wound.

Backlion blinked a couple times, staring at his arms which looked like they never sustained damage in the first place.

"Oh wow... thanks! That's some strong magic."

"My army is the strongest

"My army is the strongest." Claret said.

"A fine taste in women, too."

Backlion winked at the ladies in the crowd. Nemain gave a cheery wave back, while Macha sighed.