sixteen ☆ here for you

♡

Marie laid in bed for a while, until Grace walked in. "Get up," The older Santiago sibling said, "you're not going to mope around forever."

Marie groaned as she tossed her bedspread to the side and stood up. Once she stood, she sighed and walked toward the door.

"I know it's hard and it hurts, M, but you need to be strong; for me, for us, for him." Grace said suddenly, making Marie turn to her.

Marie spoke softly, "I get that you're trying to help me, Grace, and I appreciate it but I don't think there's anything that can ease the pain I'm feeling."

"Is that so?" Grace asked, as she picked up Marie's Bible.

Marie sighed and set her Bible down. "I just need to grieve, without the use of my Bible or prayer, for a while."

Grace sighed. "Alright, fine. Don't pray or read your Bible for as long as you want but at least talk to me, mami and papi after some time, okay; can you do that?"

Marie nodded.

"Oh, and Marie? Don't take this the wrong way but, you're slowly becoming your character from your movie but without the jailed boyfriend."

At those words, Marie snapped, whether she meant to or not. "Of course it's without the jailed boyfriend because mine is dead!" As she spoke those words aloud to her older sister, she burst into tears and attempted to apologize but got cut off.

Grace put her hand up. "Save it, M. When you're like this, I don't want to hear it. I tried to help you and simply point something out but all I did was piss you off and make you cry; and, plus, you're bitter. You're transitioning from moving on to being bitter and back to moving on. Even though you've been like this, I accept your apology."

Marie nodded slowly as Grace walked over to her.

"Look, M," Grace said, "I know you're in a dark place of grieving right now and I'm sorry to have pissed you off with comparing your attitude to that of your character. I shouldn't have done that, and it was wrong of me. I understand that you don't want too much help from me or our parents but we're family and even if you don't need me in some times, I'm here. I love you and I'll always be here for you."

Marie wiped her tears, sighed and hugged Grace. "Thank you, Grace. I'm sorry for snapping at you."

"It's no problem. I shouldn't have said what I said anyways." Grace stated as she returned the embrace.

After pulling away, the two sisters sat down on their beds and chatted for some time before heading downstairs for breakfast.