The Tenth Year

The hoodied trio began leaving earlier with each year that they went on their annual trip. This year, was different. Matt's mother was ill, so Edd and Matt planned to spend the holiday at his parents.

***
"Come on guys! We need to get going! It's Christmas eve! We're going to be late!" Tom said, excitement filling his once empty voice.

Matt stared at Edd, and Edd returned it with a stone cold glare. "You didn't tell him???" Edd hissed, using his rare angry tone. Matt gave Edd a pitiful face, then Edd turned to Tom. "Sorry, Tom," Edd said, his voice becoming soft again, "Matt's parents aren't well. We're spending Christmas with them this year."

N-no! This can't be! I- I need to finish the list! I need to finish everything he lift behind! I can't leave him, not yet! Tom thought. Then he snapped.

"You know what! I don't care! You guys can go wherever the hell you want! I'm going, weather you like it or not!"

Tom stormed back into his room, doing a last minute check for anything he had to pack. The he realized that in the midst of the storm, he forgot to check the list to see the last item.

5. visit the stars

Ah, yes. That pesky one. Tom thought, Like hell I'm becoming an astronaut. Tom sat and pondered for an hour, trying to think of a way around this one, no, a way to bend it. He began to scribble.

- Study the stars
- Find constellations that Tord showed me
- Go to Tord's house

The list went on and on, filling multiple pages and consuming an hour. But, when push came to shove, and Tom had to choose, he crossed out everything and chose what he had first thought. I need to follow in Starboy's footsteps. He sighed. Many moons ago, this is how Tom would've wanted it end. But now, he felt differently. It felt like a future he couldn't fight.

Well, if that's the way it's going to be, I should at least leave something. The blue hooded man pondered what he would want his friends to remember him by. Then he found his- Starboy's old- stationary set, the one with the stars...