It really is a tough love (2)

D.J.  knocked on the door. "Stef?"
  Stephanie sniffled. "Come in."
  D.J. walked in and saw Stephanie sitting on the corner of her bed, hugging Mr bear close to her chest.
  "How are you?"
  "Considering everything's that is going on, I'd say not that well?"
  D.J. inched towards Stephanie and put an arm around her neck. "D'you want my honest opinion?"
  "Do I wanna hear it?" Stephanie asked.
  "I think you really need this," D.J. smiles and squeezed Stephanie's shoulders lightly.
  "I think," D.J. started, "that Ben is a great guy. But if he really was for you, he would believe you. A good boyfriend always tries to listen as much as they can. They would at least try and understand. And from what I hear, Stef, I really don't want to be the one telling you this, but I don't think Ben is right for you. Ben doesn't deserve you Stef. And it's not your fault."
  Stephanie drew in a breath. "How can I be sure he's not the one for me? He's not all that bad."
  D.J. sighed and started to ask, "When was the last time he, himself, called you instead of the opposite?"
  Stephanie fell silent.
  "When was the last time he did anything nice for you?"
  Stephanie thought hard. "He did find a nickel on the sidewalk and gave it to me... for Valentine's Day."
  D.J. nodded. "You see?"
  "But I thought you said he looked really happy with me?"
  D.J. explained, "He does look very happy with you. I'm not saying he's not, but what I am saying is that he doesn't put as much effort into this as you do. And you deserve better Stef. You know it."
  After a few droning minutes, D.J. asked Stephanie, "Stef?"
  "Yeah?"
  "Why did you date him in the first place?"
  "Because he was nice... and smart... and really hot, and-,"
  "Stef" D.J. raises her eyebrows.
   Stephanie sighed, "to make Gia jealous."
  "There it is," D.J. stifled under her breath.
  "So why do you care if he's about to break up with you?" D.J. asked further.
  "Well I dated him to make Gia jealous at first, but I started having feelings for him recently. I know I'm dumb and this is probably so stupid."
  "Don't beat yourself up Stef. Come on, run a hot bath and make yourself a nice cup of tea. I guarantee you'll be feeling better in no time."
  Stephanie smiled slightly. "Thanks deej." They shared a brief hug leaving D.J. feeling pleased with herself.
  "Nicely done deej," she whispered to herself and smiled.