Another not so typical day in high school

Students messily filed into the science lab. Dr Merufsky, the chemistry teacher famous for her wide-rimmed glasses and her coffee breath, semi-jogged into the lab, out of breath.
  "Well, hello everyone. Sorry, my car had a flat tire today, and I tried to get my cup of coffee at the coffee shop just nearby, but this couple standing in front of me was just unbearable! They simply couldn't get their credit cards to work, I mean, for pete's sake, it's just a cup of coffee am I right?" She huffed out in one lengthy sentence.
  "Exactly. It's just a cup of coffee," Gia whispered just loud enough for the whole class and Dr Merufsky to hear. The whole class laughed wildly.
  "Okay everyone, settle down, settle down. And I expect to see you after class, Gia?" Dr Merufsky said.
  Gia rolled her eyes and wrung our her nail filer. And so did her minions shortly after.
  Stephanie, as usual, sat next to Ben. But things ran tenser than normal today.
  "So, class, write this down: if you add potassium permanganate to water,"
  "Crap where's my pen?" Stephanie fumbled around in her bag.
  "Here, have mine," Ben offered with a shy smile. A flush of red crept up his neck. Stephanie took the pen without even looking at Ben. "Thanks," she mumbled.
  "Right, message received," Ben said, a little angrier this time.
  After fifteen minutes or so of Dr Merufsky's monotonic lecture, Ben turned to Stephanie, unable to stifle it anymore.
  "Okay, stef, are we gonna talk about the elephant in the room or not?"
  Stephanie looked straight ahead at the whiteboard in front.
  "Stef. Stephanie. Look, I didn't mean what I said yesterday," Ben started.
  "Save it." Stephanie snapped, this time staring straight into Ben's eyes. Ben felt the hot waves of anger pierce through him.
  Oh, those eyes, Stephanie thought, the baby blues. They made it so easy to fall in love with him. Those eyes made Stephanie's heart ache. She saw the remorse, the pain behind them. No. Stop it, Stephanie. Stand up for yourself. D.J.'s right. He's no good for you. You're doing the right thing-
  "Alright, I'm going to assign lab partners for this class now! So we have," Dr Merufsky stated.
  Stephanie's heart pounded. Please don't put Ben with me. Things are already awkward enough as it is.
  "Ronnie and Brynn,"
  Just get to my name!
  "Stephanie and,"
  Oh please don't let it be Ben!
  "Mickey."
  Yes! Not Ben. Wait... Gia hasn't been picked yet. Neither has ben. Oh this is much worse. So much worse.
  "And that, leaves us with our final two: Gia and Ben!" Dr Merufsky announced.
  Stephanie gawked at Dr Merufsky in awe, then at Gia, who flashed a cunning smile at her and raised her eyebrows. Her eyes spelled I win, you lose. Suck it Tanner. That's what you get for trying to mess with my boy.
  Gia sauntered over to my-our-table, where Ben was sitting next to her.
  "Get up," Gia demanded.
  "Why me? Why can't mickey come here and you guys go somewhere else?" Stephanie challenged.
  "Really?" Gia raises her voice. "Are you really going to make a scene again?"
  Everyone turned and stared at them. Well this certainly looks and feels familiar, Stephanie thought. In defeat, she sighed and rose. She gathered her books, just when Gia whispered in her ear,
  "I never lose tanner. I'm Gia. I get all the boys I want. That's what I'm famous for. What are you famous for, tanner? Losing. That's what. And what boy wants to date a loser, now?"
  Stephanie rolled her eyes, masking her humiliation and intimidation. It felt like minutes as Stephanie walked-stumbled- over to Mickey's table, while everyone looked at her. Judgementally? Sympathetically? You could never tell. After all, high school was just another name for Gia's World.

-
  "Hey, don't let her get to you, 'kay?" Mickey said.
  "Thanks. Nice to know someone actually believes me. You do believe me, don't you?"
  "Of course I do. I know how manipulative Gia can be. Trust me, I've been there. It will get better, I promise."
  "Thanks, Mickey."

-

  The bell rang and, once again, everyone rushed out uncontrollably, leaving Stephanie and Ben standing in the fat ends of the classroom.
  Gathering her stuff, Stephanie walked towards the door, just where Ben was waiting for her.
  "Fun class right?" Stephanie grumbled.
  "I'm sorry, Stef. I really mean it. Please just believe me." Ben said.
  "Believe you? How about you believe me for a change?" Stephanie shot back. "I tell you something, then Gia tells you something, and guess what, you side with Gia. You know what? I'm starting to think the rumour is true. I never thought I would believe it. You know what? Here! Take your stupid pen and get out of my stupid life!" Stephanie slapped the pen onto the table.
  "Stephanie! Stephanie!" Before Ben could talk further, Stephanie had already stormed out for the lab. He picked the pen up and rolled it over in his hands, as if he was holding her hand.