Forgotten Crafting

The wait was long, more than six hours in a closed place where the sky couldn't be seen. Not that he had claustrophobia, but there was nothing to see there except walls dug in the earth.

Little could he get from his companions about what was happening, their traditions or their way of life, nor had he managed to gather much information while he had been escorting them on the surface. He had gained some trust with them, some fellowship, but not enough to get them talking about them or their people. Although, in fact, he hadn't talked much about himself either.

He entertained himself by practicing his skills, playing with the kid, talking about inconsequential issues with adults, or even teaching them some spells and techniques with the spear that, perhaps, over time, they would learn. In fact, he could observe a spear technique to break off part of the roof over your enemies, and wondered if he could get to learn it, something he didn't achieve with just a few attempts. Perhaps, like the rest of the inhabitants of that world, he could dominate it with time and effort.

When they finally returned, they didn't come alone. They were accompanied by two women-mole and a man-mole with many more wrinkles than normal on them, and with an escort of five soldiers who were between levels 30 and 45. They didn't seem to have hostile intentions, but, if they had, he would be in a mess, because they outnumbered him, their levels were higher, and their knowledge of the land were deeper.

One of the elders, a woman, approached him. At first, it had been difficult for him to distinguish the sexes of those beings, but, by treating them, he had discovered subtle differences in the ears, eyes and skin color.

"They have told me that you have small beings that help you with the animals' remains, and that you wield weapons from nothingness. Are you a visitor?"

"Yes," said Eldi, somewhat tense. He didn't know if he was in trouble.

"As we guessed. That explains why you helped our brothers, something that those who walk under the sky wouldn't do. Or maybe we have a lot of prejudices against outsiders, we haven't had contact with them for a long time," the old woman continued ". But, first of all, thanks for saving them. We thank you deeply."

They all bowed in front of the foreigner, who was a bit embarrassed. Then, another old man stepped forward.

"Vato has explained to us that his son has the ability to learn magic smithy, and that you could teach him. Could you explain to us how?" he asked in a humble tone that completely disarmed him. Eldi was unable to refuse to answer, and he didn't consider it a secret eiher.

Eldi explained to them that it was necessary to be a master of a magical crafting to discover those who had talent in it, as well as to be able to teach them to use the corresponding magical platform, for which the platform was also needed. He also detailed how the blacksmithing level could be increased using higher resistant metals, the need for mana at the highest levels and, therefore, the need to level up those blacksmiths, so their mana pool could increase, and so they could to reach those levels.

"So, if Cato could reach level 7, could he recognize and teach others?" The old man wanted to be sure.

"As far as I know, yes, he could."

"What do you want in exchange for teaching him?" The third old woman intervened.

Eldi thought for a moment. Actually he had simply accepted to help them, he didn't expect anything in return. Perhaps, there would be knowledge, raw materials or treasures that might interest him, but he would feel guilty about negotiating with the kid's future.

"All I can ask is that you give me the opportunity to consider myself a friend. And, if possible, if there is a path to cross the mountains that you can show me, I would appreciate it. But I will teach him anyway."

The old woman nodded, surprised and pleased at that strange but kind foreigner. She had been using Clairvoyance on him, a spell that lets her know if someone lies, and that very few are able to obtain. It takes talent and hard work for a long time to master it, which means giving up other faster and more comfortable paths. But she got the prize of being revered and respected among her people, becoming someone in charge of mediating in the always delicate disputes.

"In that case, could you join us?"

It made the elders' bodyguards somewhat nervous that the foreigner would walk alongside them, but they couldn't question the elders' decisions. And, since they had partly agreed to consider him a friend, they began to explain certain aspects of their people.

"Magical crafting was very important for our people hundreds of years ago, especially the blacksmithing, because it provided us with tools that helped us to drill and prop up our tunnels. Or to extract the minerals that we find when we create new paths.

"Now, these tools are scarce and we cannot repair them. The ones we can create are of lower quality and it is not easy, since it is difficult to create the ventilation system that blacksmithing needs, and it is sometimes difficult to find the fuel too.

"Long ago, there was a war of brothers against brothers, in which the control of magical crafting was a key factor in gaining an advantage over the rival, so the fighting for the platforms arose, and, eventually, all of them were lost. So, over time, artisans were also lost, as there were no platforms.

"About seventy years ago, we located some of the platforms that had been lost. They were in an abandoned village not far from here. We brought them and returned them to their place, but, in all this time, we haven't been able to make them work. Most of the knowledge was transmitted by word of mouth, and was lost with the artisans.

"You have brought us hope and knowledge. For the first time, we know what is needed, and that we can get it thanks to you. You say you know other crafting, and I know we are asking you a lot, but, could you help us find them and teach them too?"

Eldi didn't hesitate to accept. For him, it meant only to spend some time, and the opportunity to meet a different kind of people, while for them it was practically a matter of life or death. Many died for not having the right tools to dig, or better weapons to defend themselves.

"By the way, the woman who accompanies us, the one with the red scarf..." Eldi said, referring to a woman-mole level 40.

"Yes, what is wrong with her?" Asked one of the old women, somewhat surprised.

"She can be an alchemist."

The elders looked at him and the woman with wide eyes.

"Have you heard, Tica? You can learn alchemy!" the old man informed her enthusiastically.

"That? Me? Am I not too old for that?" she replied, confused and excited.

"Your level is high, so you should have a lot of mana. That will help you practice and level up faster."

She, who had been looking the foreigner with some dislike, went on to see him with adoration. After all, magical crafting had become almost a legend among them, something every child-mole dreams of being able to do. Though, as adults, they have to face reality and give up that dream, but they had brought it back to her.