Khaladok (III)

It was obvious that, at this point, he couldn't lie. It was evident that he had been discovered.

"As I've said before, I was there by chance. I knew that there were magical crafting platforms around here, and I was interested in using them, so I had come to see if it was possible. But I hadn't found them, I didn't know that you lived inside the mountain. When I saw the dwarfs fighting, I simply helped them, I couldn't stop doing it. Later, I learned that you live here, so I asked about the platforms."

"To fix that sword?" The old woman asked skeptically.

"Actually, it was an excuse. I hoped I could use it also to create some weapons that I'll need," he acknowledged awkwardly.

"And the disguise?"

" I was wearing it from before. I'm not a criminal or anything like that. But I have enemies. They better not know where I am."

"I think you're not very used to hiding," the old woman laughed suddenly.

Eldi looked at her, not quite sure what she meant.

"Tell me, if you wanted to forge weapons, where are the materials you need? You haven't even asked for them," the old woman began, as if she were a character from Agatha Christie solving a mystery.

Eldi didn't know what to say. It was obvious that he had screwed up.

"Besides, you don't even hide the evidence. We discovered the remains of the trolls you killed. How is it possible that someone has dismembered them and collected their most useful parts in such a short time?" she continued, incisive, with a smile that showed she knew even more.

Eldi didn't even know what expression to make. He felt totally exposed.

"That we live inside the mountain doesn't mean that we are totally isolated. News from the kingdom comes to us. Like that of a possible visitor walking around. And even, from a neighboring kingdom, that a certain Eldi Hnefa had appeared, that nobody knows where he is, but that the nobles are looking for him."

Eldi sighed. She had exposed him completely. It didn't make sense to keep hiding it. The only thing that reassured him is that he saw no hostility in the old woman. Just an expression of satisfaction, that of being one step ahead.

He undid the disguise, showing his true face, his golden eyes. He even changed the armor and hid his weapons.

"Looks like that Great Wise isn't only an honorary title. What do you plan to do?"

"Nothing!" She laughed. "All this fucking bias against visitors is stupid. There was a crazy one that caused problems. But there are also stupid dwarfs that cause them. Or stupid humans. Or stupid cats. We have nothing against you. We consider you a friend. Although not an elf friend," she laughed again.

"I appreciate it. Can I ask you to keep secret that I've been here?"

"Of course. At least for a while. I can't control all drunk dwarfs forever. But, for at least a year, nobody will know you've been here. Also, there is something I would like to ask you, if you have time. In the name of the dwarfs," the old woman asked.

"How can I help you?"

"We know that visitors have knowledge and skills sometimes lost, forgotten. If you could show us some... Mainly, if you know something related to axes, hammers or spears, we would appreciate it. Either in combat or in crafting. Of course, only what you consider reasonable. And, of course, we'll show you ours in return," the old woman offered.

"It's fair. In fact..."

It was a sincere offer. She asked for a lot, but offered the same in return. And, in addition, his three main weapons were the same as theirs, something that surprised the old woman. She didn't know it.

For a few days, dwarf craftsmen studied Eldi's weapons. They were especially impressed by those of level 100, some of which he hadn't crafted, but had acquired them in long missions or facing powerful enemies. He showed them how many recipes he knew up to level 65, including potions and jewels, though he didn't have much knowledge about heavy armor.

Although few were the recipes that were useful to them as is, the dwarf artisans have a deeper knowledge than Eldi's, and of which he was envious. This allowed them to use the new recipes as inspiration to improve their creations. Or design new models. They even adapted some of their designs for their new friend, so that he could learn something that was useful to him, which impressed and touched the high human.

He also showed them their skills, and not a few dwarfs would start training some of them. Among those that interested them most was the one he had learned from the mole-people, and that he still didn't fully master. It could be very useful for them, as they also work in the tunnels.

And Eldi also found some interesting ones. He wondered how many lives he would need to learn them all, but, for now, he would have to settle for learning them little by little.

The second thing that most impressed the dwarfs was the mining assistant. Unfortunately, it was impossible to duplicate. Apparently, it was a complicated mix of various types of magic and an unknown technology.

Some barrels of beer that he had in the inventory were the first one, and that made him earn the eternal friendship of the dwarfs. Their quality was exquisite, and they would take them only in very special occasion. Of course, they rushed to decide that the farewell of their new friend would be one of those occasions.

Unfortunately, even for Eldi it was impossible to get more. Goldmi had produced them, the only one of the three that mastered the cooking job. They had completed a mission in which they had obtained a large quantity and variety of cereals, and the beer recipe. She was the only one who knew how to do it, so it was impossible for him to replicate it.

He also learned that the mole-people and the dwarfs had maintained good relations long ago, or that was written in their chronicles. But they didn't know where they were or how to get in touch with them, and they were very interested. There was a certain alcoholic beverage that only they could produce.

Eldi promised to contact them in the future, when he mastered the spell to create the gate with which he could go to visit them. And to the dwarfs, who allowed the creation of an Exit Gate in a secluded room. It wasn't the only one he had created in the kingdom. There was another in a library. And in what had been a bandits' cave. And some more that had been created in relatively remote places. Hopefully, in the future, he could travel around the kingdom quite fast.

Almost twenty dwarfs accompanied him to the exit and a part of the road. They could have been more, but Eldi insisted it wasn't necessary. It seemed excessive to him a march of hundreds of dwarfs to accompany him, a march to which they were more than willing. Not very often they had guests they could call friends with capital F. No doubt, the beer was delicious.