Escape

The ten warriors-mole left the library through the lower level, checking that no one had relieved the three toads eliminated by their saviors. Their purpose was to return home, while the others would do the same later.

Their feelings were conflicting, because with the desire to return there was the fear of experiencing being cornered again, but at least, now they had information about the terrain.

And as they feared, it was a trap. The toads had wanted them to believe that they could escape, so they could cut off their withdrawal and surround them. The warriors-mole entered a small building to take refuge, but the entrance was wide, and one of their pursuers followed them inside, falling into the hole in which one of their own had already been annihilated.

They had nailed spears to replace the already missing icicles, and didn't hesitate to attack the trapped amphibian. They finished it off, but soon more came. However, they didn't find their prey, because, just as the warriors-mole had been informed, there was a passage to the other side.

Frustrated, the huge level 63 toad which was watching from behind, ordered its underlings to surround the tunnel, and a few to hide near the place where their prey had originally come from. It hoped to ambush them and taste an exotic delicacy.

When they reached the other side, there was no sign of their prey, nor on the road they assumed they would take. Suddenly, a shout alerted them that something was wrong in the rearguard. But when they arrived, the toads they had left behind weren't. No less than ten amphibians had disappeared without a trace.

The huge toad was furious. Since it had arrived in that city, it had enjoyed absolute control. No one could stand up against it. No prey to which it had pointed out had escaped, so it had been irritable due to those little beings remaining hidden for so long. And, when it thought they had finally fallen into its trap, it was its kin who had fallen into theirs.

It was afraid. For the first time since it had gained intelligence, it was afraid. The huge toad was sure that so few of them couldn't have done away with their warriors. There were only ten, those who had already been cornered and badly injured some days ago. Something was going out of its control, of its grasp, which was a new sensation for it. An unpleasant feeling.

And, therefore, it ordered its troops to regroup, in order to confront the invisible enemy that was threatening its reign.

"On this side they are grouping," one of the teams reported.

"On this one too," another reported.

"Here the same," assured the third.

"They're leaving here, so they may be grouping too," said the fourth.

"The path to the nexus is clear," announced the fifth.

It was one of the possible scenarios, that they would be scared and group together to protect themselves, and the one preferred by the mole-people. Another option was that the toads tried to hunt them down, going all out, which was much more dangerous for both, them and the amphibians. And it could always happen that there was an unplanned third scenario, so they were attentive to their movements.

A map of the city was engraved on a wall in the library, which had helped them to distribute themselves around, to locate safe places with multiple exits. They had found some of them unusable, but knowing where to look, it was easier to find others.

With caution, listening to the sounds transmitted by the earth, and vigilant of any trap, the five groups were gathering and heading towards the nexus through which Eldi and his companions had entered, as it was the closest and was still operational.

Meanwhile, the toad chief was commanding to reinforce their positions, bunkerizing, strategically placing their soldiers in the face of the impending attack from their enemies. It was confident in catching them off guard, since it knew that area better than anyone, and had gathered all its subordinates. It wanted to crush those who had dared to invade its territory.

But the wait was first long and then eternal. A day later, it was convinced that it was a trap, designed for them to be over-confident and leave their safe position. Two days later, it praised them for their patience. After three days, it sent a small exploration group. A week later, the toad was furious, while thinking they had been laughing at it.

There was no sign of the intruders or where they had gone, so they attacked the nexus through which the first intruders had come. But when the assault group, after several days, managed to break through the first door, and began to attack the second one, they were buried by the fall of the compressed material on the ceiling, the emergency sealing procedure of the containment tunnel.

Feeling humiliated, it promised to take revenge on those little beings. But that only frustrated it, for there was no way to reach them.

They didn't feel safe until the nexus' gate closed behind them, and they met with those who were waiting for them on the other side, who were surprised to meet brothers from another area, since the ties and communications had long been cut off. Perhaps, there was reluctance or distrust, but also joy of meeting them again.

Eldi and ten others accompanied them through the tunnel that led to the other nexus, a tunnel that would surely be fixed and maintained if friendship ties could be redone. Eldi wanted to find the exit he was looking for, and with the promise to teach them crafting, while the others went as a first contact between their peoples, waiting for official delegations to meet and discuss the terms of their future relations.

It is possible to say that there were no big troubles in that forgotten tunnel, because although there the beings could reach level 50, those of higher level didn't group, and they were many and well-equipped. And they also had Eldi, who hadn't yet surpassed level 48, but was halfway.

The high human was certain that both peoples-mole would reach an agreement. After all, it was clear that the relationship between the two groups that had fought together had strengthened their bonds, and even he had been accepted. Although this didn't avoid him from having to wait outside when they reached the next nexus, where the allies of the rescued group were waiting anxiously. It took some time and a few "You have gone crazy!" before he could be introduced.