Opening a path

If the general had been aware, it would have ordered to force all ranged attacks, to increase them to the limit, which perhaps would have been fatal to the living. However, even so, their situation was very precarious.

The physical and magic projectiles were falling on them and, although they weren't very accurate, they were too many for all to fail. Small individual shields, less expensive and mobile, and whose main problem was a reduced duration, were protecting the wounded and some mages. They were trying to avoid the attacks to minimize the shield damage, but it wasn't easy.

The archers were quite agile, so they were able to dodge most, blocking the few that reached them, while some mages were able to use their staffs to defend themselves.

Those who had it worse were the warriors, who not only had to deal with the projectiles but were fighting fiercely against their enemies. They didn't have to worry about ranged attacks coming from the front, as their own enemies unintentionally intercepted them, but they couldn't always deal with those coming from behind. Those in the second line tried to block or divert them, but it was difficult to remain completely unscathed.

Most of them had suffered numerous injuries from these attacks, being the two giants who had suffered the most. Their bodies may be more resistant, but also their large size made them easier targets. The Regeneration from Eldi wasn't enough, and their companions feared the moment when they couldn't take it anymore.

The high human was using Mill as much as he could to block attacks, and Projectiles against me? when he was able, but his mana reserves weren't enough.

It was then that the warriors who had come as reinforcement arrived in front of the enemy hordes. Until now, it had been the magicians who were attacking, but they had stopped doing so after realizing the ineffectiveness of their spells. But when the warriors arrived, they resumed the attack. Also, they were doing it closer, so they could increase their precision.

These warriors were doing additional work than the magicians. Not only did they use their skills and slightly higher level to attack corrupted beings, but they were physically occupying the freed space. Thus, they were preventing their enemies from reoccupying it, quickly gaining ground, also thanks to the support from the mages. They had their weapons and equipment in perfect condition, as well as their energy reserves practically intact. Their biggest problem was that they only had two healers capable of treating their wounds.

Their allies were in a critical situation, so they couldn't waste time. Therefore, they were advancing with all their strength, disregarding their own security. Not surprisingly, some of the trapped were friends or family. And, if the fight dragged on too long, the situation would become critical even to them.

One of the mages recovered enough mana to erect a new barrier, a barrier that, alone, had to stand all the attacks. It gave them a some breath, though too short, for it didn't last more than a minute. Soon after, another mage erected the next one. They were squeezing their power to the limit, but they knew they were just patches to buy a bit of time.

The gestures from the other mages showed that it would take them a long time to cast theirs, so Eldi decided to take an additional risk. He leapt back over the enemy, using Earthquake and depleting his mana again with a Burning Blast.

The next he did was rely on Propel if an enemy approached, or Scatter if there were several. He did this continuously, quickly and dangerously depleting his energy reserves. Furthermore, his current armor was somewhat less resistant than the previous one, and he soon began to look pitiful, full of cuts and bathed in his own blood.

His wounds were becoming more serious and abundant, and his energy was becoming scarcer. He would soon have to make the decision to run away with Kangaroo Power, if he was still capable. But thanks to his reckless action, he had attracted the attention of many enemies, facilitating the work of both fronts, especially the mages. Their spells against losts which were looking away were more than effective.

Eldi turned to use Propel again to the approaching enemy, but stopped in time. It was a huge pangu, three meters tall and two horns on his head. He was brandishing an enormous axe, but his most important feature was to be an ally. The latter greeted him, bowing his head slightly in a gesture of recognition and respect. He then overtook the high human, taking his place and further narrowing the distance with the two giants.

Several other warriors overtook him, also greeting him with respect and some admiration. The sight of that warrior fighting alone among the enemies had surprised and filled them with awe. He took the opportunity to catch his breath and let his wounds heal, but not before blessing those who were passing near him with Steel Fists, to the limit of his mana.

The warriors glanced once more at that surprising unknown warrior. There were hardly any rumors about the visitor away from their camp, as they had been banned, so they didn't know who he was. But the fact that, in addition to what they had seen, he could also increase the strength of his allies was something exceptional.

It wasn't long before he got up and wielded a spear. He wasn't in his peak condition, but he was still useful to support from behind. He intended to help maintain the corridor that the reinforcements had created, while the vanguard finally met the ones they had come to rescue.

The giants and the pangu stared at each other for a moment. In other circumstances, they wouldn't have hesitated to size up against each other, but now they were planning to do it later. Although they were from different races, there were points in common in their traditions.

Immediately, they turned to the flanks. They had managed to met, now it was necessary to widen the passage, so that the most vulnerable could pass safely.

At that precise moment, the general reacted. Its mind was unclear. There was too much anger, too much confusion, too much frustration in it maintain the composure.

In the past, it had been willingly corrupted. Perhaps, it had gained power, but the price it had paid hadn't been low. It had given up on itself, on what it had been until then, by allowing itself to be seduced by the words that its ears wanted to hear.