Desperate situation

It was night, and he was away from the dungeon's entrance and the city, in a place from which the city's lights could be seen in the distance, several meters above the small room with the stalactite and the puddle. He would have liked to go to see the four young adventurers, to greet them, even to gift them the staff, but it wasn't a good idea.

He was sure that the absence of the group of noblemen hadn't gone unnoticed. Too many days had passed, so it was likely that a search operation would even be underway. If he came back alone, all eyes would be upon him.

He still had to decide what to do with the bodies. He didn't like the idea of ​​taking them away, nor did he like to bury them in no man's land. Despite what they had done, he preferred that their families could know the truth, and even the reason why they had died.

Somehow, his character's way of thinking in the game was a part of himself. It had always been, and now he was aware of it. Therefore, he wanted to put them away with his seal, but it was also important that everybody knew about their crimes, something he didn't know how to achieve.

What he did know is that he had to get out of there. And the plan of ​​crossing the border was the most appealing, at least until his level were high enough to come back and ask for explanations. The question was how guarded the borders were, and if he could cross them easily.

But all those questions could wait, as a silhouette was fast approaching from the city. He only saw it for a moment, but decided to cast Sleepyhead's Shield to hide.

"I know you're here," said a man's voice. "I no longer had hope, but I think I've won the lottery."

The man was walking around while talking loudly.

"You know, it's said that the visitors got out from the dungeon in this place, although nobody knows how they did. So, I set several alarms, and only those in this little section have been activated. So, nobody has entered from outside and nobody has left."

Eldi saw him pass in front of his hiding place. He wore a long cloak that covered his clothes, and his face was also hidden under a hood. But the high human could perceive his aura, which was strange, like that of the two merchants he had seen from afar in the city.

"I see, you're hidden. It's a pain in the ass, you're forcing me to show myself."

It was then that he understood that he was in serious trouble. Suddenly, the aura ceased to be strange, becoming the aura of a level higher than 80, an aura from someone who could easily kill him. Instinctively, he held his breath, although it wasn't necessary to do so under the protection of the Sleepyhead's Shield.

"You have two options. The first, you go out on your own and surrender. I promise not to kill you, the reward is greater if you are alive. The second, I hit everything until you appear, alive or dead. If you died, the reward would be smaller, but would still worth it."

Eldi swallowed. If the shield was hit with that strength, it would be shattered, and maybe, in the process, he would too.

"It is not here. Let's see here..."

A tree was torn apart, then a small crater on the ground, then a broken rock. The man was approaching, and Eldi couldn't think of what to do. When the shield was finally hit, he had no choice but to dodge it, revealing his presence.

"Aha! So you were there!" he smiled mischievously, while holding two daggers.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Eldi asked.

"It doesn't matter who I am, but I want you. Better alive, but dead is fine too."

"Why?"

"Because it's well paid! You've been a pain the arse for powerful people, and that's very good for me. Let's see, do you surrender? Or will it be the hard way?"

Eldi stepped back. The difference in power was huge. He didn't think he could defeat him, even by surprise, but the alternative wasn't any better. He was sure they would kill him, or worse.

"Oh, come on, don't be shy... Ugh!"

He fell into the hole, and Eldi hurried to attack him with the spear, but he stopped it with his hand.

"Nice trick. It will be the hard way, then."

The high human dropped the spear to use Propel with the hammer, in an attempt to keep him in the hole, but it was unsuccessful. Stepping on the icicles, which had failed to pierce the reinforced boots, he impulsed himself out, hitting Eldi, throwing him to the ground and pouncing on him.

"It has been a pleasure. Goodbye forever," the assassin said as he was bringing the dagger closer to his victim's neck. His face was now visible, and also his several scars.

Covered with poison, the dagger pierced the neck, throat and carotid vein. And the man collapsed lifeless.

Dumbfounded, Eldi looked as the dagger that had to go through his neck fell to the ground, while another one pierced the man's neck. The weapon belonged to a female figure, with tight black clothes that covered her entire body and face, where only her golden eyes and her hair could be seen. It was black, its natural color, and not the blue one she had been using until recently. It was falling on her back in the form of an improvised tail.

She pushed away the corpse and stared at Eldi, who didn't know what was happening. But that woman had saved his life, and she was even more powerful than the man who had been threatening him. Her level was above 90.

He hoped she was an ally, and not a struggle to get the reward that was on his head. But he didn't expect a few tears falling from her eyes. Or that, after she took off the cloth that was covering her, he would discover a face that was familiar to him. And, even less, that she would pounce on him, hugging him and crying in his chest.

"Daddy...!"

"Lidia... My sweetie...," he hugged her back, feeling tremendously guilty for having abandoned her in the past.

She was the second main reason he usually connected to the game, and the second main reason he had left it. To love a virtual character as a daughter had seemed as sickly as falling in love with another. And now, his heart was full of regrets.