Reinforcements

Although of slightly higher level, there were barely twenty reinforcements that had arrived, and they were being quickly surrounded. They had no defense specialists or healers, so their only defense was to take down their enemies before they do first.

Therefore, a siege was extremely dangerous for them. If they were attacked from all fronts, they would have little chance of defending themselves. So, if their attitude of going ahead regardless their safety had to be qualified, it would be reckless. Or even suicidal.

Of course, that was without bearing in mind a tiny detail that the losts soon suffered. About to close the circle around the newcomers, a second wave of reinforcements arrived, almost thirty, and on the same level as the previous ones.

They immediately attacked from behind, surprising the beings which had their eyes on those in front of them, and were barely compact and quite disorganized. The attack of the new wave of reinforcements gave them no chance to respond, so the closest ones were quickly annihilated, which completely frustrated their plans.

The general cursed these new reinforcements, while organizing a single, more compact and numerous front to face them. They couldn't surround them, but it hoped it could oppress and prevent them from helping those to whom they had come to rescue.

It didn't take long for the new reinforcements to join the first advance unit, and redouble the offensive, although they soon had to divide their forces to face the enemy counterattack. They couldn't leave their flanks unprotected.

Although serious and somewhat taciturn, the general knew that it had the situation under control. The trapped group was about to succumb, and, when it did, it could turn all forces against the newcomers. What the general didn't expect was that there was a third group of reinforcements, about fifty. They arrived in a somewhat scattered formation, something that was strange because of the unusual. It wasn't long before he understood why.

"All ranged ones, attack those who are coming! At the back!" it shouted.

But it was too late, the spell was ready. All the forces that had previously arrived suddenly retreated, leaving the area in which they had been fighting, as they didn't want to be affected by the impact of Eternal Light.

A demihuman woman was being carried by four others on a platform, thus allowing her to focus on the powerful spell. Her eyes opened, revealing a light blue color that contrasted with her white hair, which spread down her back like a horse's mane. And that wasn't the only resemblance to the animal, since her ears were also extremely similar.

In her hands was a small glowing sphere, which expanded when it was launched into the sky. When it returned to the ground, it did so in a brilliant white beam that swept through the impact zone.

Shadow creatures are often vulnerable to light magic, and the losts, although not fully categorized as such, have low resistance to that power, so few were able to resist the attack.

Three-quarters of the path to their allies had been freed from enemies. Many hundreds of them had been annihilated, and a wide passage had been created, at the edges of which were many seriously wounded losts.

"Dakgror, Dafkra! Go toward the reinforcements, we need to open a path no matter what! Glanbor, Eldi, Hulbidor, Gadhalín, you too! Mages, focus your remaining power there!" Caranlín reacted immediately.

Meanwhile, the reinforcements were moving into the open space, both to prevent them from closing it again and to try to penetrate further into it. The mage who had cast the spell had gotten off the platform and was walking at the end of the group. She had used up all of her mana, and could do little for now except defend herself if being attacked. She had energy left, and, in her hands, the staff with which she had channeled mana could also become a very dangerous weapon.

Meanwhile, the leader of the sieged group kept giving orders frantically.

"North and west, two steps back! Prepare the wounded who can't move to carry them! South and east, try to expand the perimeter!"

The giants were the first to arrive, as they were the closest. Although tired, they didn't hesitate to attack more fiercely than Eldi had ever seen them. It was no longer necessary to defend a position, but to advance, and they were better at that.

They spread far enough apart so as not to harm each other, and began swinging their hammers from side to side, harder and harder, hitting everything that came near. They ignored their defense to destroy everything, while taking not little damage. But the most important was to open the way.

The first thing the high human did when he reached their position was to give them Regenerate. Fortunately, they still had other blessings, since he no longer had mana for more. He then took charge of the left flank alongside Glanbor, a wolf-eared warrior two meters tall, while Hulbidor and Gadhalín took charge of the right one. Their mission was to prevent the losts from attacking the giants from behind, and eliminate as many as they could.

"Secure the path! Keep the perimeter!"

As if it were a choreography, the perimeter was moving as the vanguard advanced. When they occupied the edges of the open road, their previous position was taken by their companions, theirs by the previous one, and so on.

Those behind were reducing the size of the perimeter to make up for the lack of troops that were entering the open gap, while mages and archers advanced, trying to stay in the center of the formation, and carrying the wounded who couldn't fend themselves. From a bird's-eye view, it was like a liquid sneaking out of a hole. It was essential to break through, but they couldn't neglect the rear. If it broke, they would be doomed.

Meanwhile, the general was trying to flood the zone with miasma again, at the same time screaming over and over again to force the offensive on those trying to escape. Eternal Light had cleared the area not only of enemies, but also of the strange dark mist, so they couldn't attack recklessly.