. One .

I stood up, leaned against the wall as I held the ancient receiver of the pay phone and placed it to my ear.

"Pick up already." I sighed in frustration.

I knew the rules. Every Saturday we girls are allowed off campus, and the first stop everyone makes is the phone bank. A row of nine pay phones. Not exactly ideal for an entire school of girls ranging in ages from ten - nineteen, not one allowed a cellphone.

So of course the phone bank has rules: Each girl is allowed a ten minute conversation, not a minute longer, unless you've been given a pass (usually given for good behavior). Your time can also be reduced, for bad behavior.

And since Ms Motts caught me gossiping with Chanel in class I've been reduced to five minutes, and of course the time starts from the time you drop your change into the machine, not when the other party picks up.

"Hello?"

"Finally, look I don't have long so let me start" I rushed out. "I'm doing well, my grades are good, tell mom I'm eating plenty and I miss you guys like crazy. Alright, your turn."

"Mom and I are doing fine, of course we always think about you and miss you constantly and can't wait to have you home for the holidays, speaking of which I should mention that we've moved."

"What?!" I nearly screamed.

"Yeah" Gianna said, "mom finally decided to move back to her old territory from before she met dad, anyways I'll write since I can tell you're in a rush...I love and stay out of trouble Little Lina."

Even in my slight shock I couldn't help but smile at hearing my sisters nickname for me, "love you too." I hung up and quickly moved out of the way of the next girl readying to use the payphone.

I strolled over to the usual bench and took a seat, I let Gianna's words sink in.

Once more I smiled, "she's finally done it." I was happy for my mom. More so, as selfish as It may sound...I felt happy for myself. If my Mom moved back to her old pack then they had moved closer to me...maybe I'd be able to even visit them now, or have them at least visit me occasionally.

"Who's done what?" Chanel asked.

I looked up into the bright face of my best friend, her red hair looking like fire as the sun shine down on her.

"My mom," I answered. "She's finally moved on from the death of my father."

"How do you know?" Chanel asked as she took a seat next to me on the bench, now I was face to face with her, her green eyes full of wonder.

"Well I talked to Gia, she said they moved back to mom's old pack."

"That's surprising, then again it has been like what, eleven years since he passed away." She commented gently.

I nodded, "yep, I wasn't even eight when it happened."

"I guess losing your mate is a tough thing."

"You have no idea." I remarked as memories of my mother's full on spiral into chronic depression filled my mind, all of those drunken binges, nights I would wake up listening to the sound of her cry. Her sobs were like the soundtrack of her heart, broken always so full of sadness.

"Oh and you do?" She responded.

I snapped out of my thoughts, "of course I don't know first hand," I sounded, I don't like to bringing up my mothers downfalls, even if it is with my best friend. "It's just... well we're taught that our mates are like a part of us, so obviously it would be hell to lose a part of us."