» newt

"That was a shuck job, Thomas," you say, slapping him on his upper arm.

But he only laughs in response. "Why not, (Y/N)?" he asks cheerfully, giving you a slight nudge.

"Don't be a shank." You lean your head on his shoulder, peering up at the night sky.

"How are things with you and Newt?" Thomas asks, shifting slightly so you are more comfortable.

A smile finds its way onto your face at the mention of your boyfriend's name. "Good, I guess," you say, unsure of what else you could say to your best friend.

"Why are you guessing?" Thomas asks, picking up on your hesitant tone. "What's happened?"

"It's nothing big," you say immediately, putting blame on your paranoia.

"But?" he drags out, sensing you have more to tell and he is willing to listen.

"It's just...he's been a little more distant recently."

"And? What do you think's happening? He's losing interest in you? You're the only shucking girl here."

"You're forgetting Teresa."

"She's in a coma, (Y/N)."

You sigh, since it seems like Thomas doesn't understand. "It's not that," you mumble.

"Then what? Newt's gonna break up with you and fall head-over-heels for Minho?" Thomas snorts at the thought, sending you into another fit of laughter.

"See? You're just reading into it too much," he says once the two of you have calmed down.

"Thank you," you murmur.

"Anytime, (Y/N)."

Silence elapses between the two of you, broken only by the other Gladers' conversations that gets too loud at some point.

"Oh look, he's coming," Thomas says, gesturing his shoulder towards Newt's direction.

You lift your head and watch him approach, a slight frown on his face as he comes closer. He stands in front of you, pressing his lips together.

"Hi, Newt," Thomas greets, unaware of Newt's negative mood.

"Tommy," Newt says, his tone short and clipped.

"What's going on?"

"Can I speak to (Y/N) in private?"

"Well, I guess. She's your girlfriend."

Newt lets out a little snort, looking at Thomas for a while.

"Oh, you want me to leave. Oh, sorry." Thomas hastily gets up, bidding you a short goodbye before he heads towards the Homestead.

You bite back a laugh as you watch the door close behind your friend. Returning your attention to Newt, you raise an eyebrow. "What is it?" you ask, patting the spot where Thomas had been sitting.

Newt settles down, sitting next to you but you're not touching in anyway.

"You seem to be pretty happy," he comments, looking at the ground in front of him.

"What do you mean by that?" You tilt your head to the side, a habitual action since he's not actually looking at you.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you were happy. A Glade full of other boys, so it's not surprising that you're no longer interested in me," he continues as though you never spoke.

"What? Newt?" But a small smile plays on your lips as you start to realize what he's on about.

"I guess because Tommy seems to know everything and he's your friend too. But he could change that if he wanted to and I have no control over that because I'm just me and I'm not that much of an important person."

"Newt." You lean towards him, your hands pressing into the ground in front of his crossed legs. "Newt, what are you on about?"

He looks at you, blushing when he realizes what he was talking about. "Shuck, (Y/N), you're...I...oh man."

You smile, pressing your head into the crook of his shoulder. "I'm glad you got that out of your system."

"But..." Even though he's trying to protest, he doesn't know how to continue.

"Newt, babe, it doesn't matter how much guys there are in this Glade. There's only you that I can see myself with."

"That's what you say now. But in the future, we might not even be together."

"The only time when we're not together is when one of us is dead."

"Then you'd get bored of me," Newt says.

"Would you get bored of me?" you counter.

"No, never." His hands cradle your waist and bring you closer to him.

You lean your arms into his shoulders, your hands playing with his hair on the nape of his neck.

"Then I'd never get bored of you," you tell him.