B2: Chapter 23 - Like Father, Like Daughter - IV

The smell of bacon and cinnamon swirled through the bedroom.

  Dad's making bacon and pancakes again...?

  Her eyes drifted open, staring at an unfamiliar wall, in an unfamiliar bed. It took her a minute to remember where she was, and that she was safe there.

  The door was closed tight. Apparently, Natalie had forced it to grow slightly to wedge into the frame overnight, in the same way as a spell she'd read about. She wondered if any of the Kincaids had tried to open it during the night. Hurriedly, she made it shrink again, as quietly as she could, then made the bed. She changed out of her pajamas and opened up her purse wide, trying to pick clothes they might consider normal.

  She ended up wearing one of her nicer plain dresses, with shorts and warm leggings underneath to stave off the chill of Quinn's place. In the mirror, Natalie still resembled a young version of the elf warrior—golden-blonde hair, purple eyes, pointed ears and everything... except for the scar she couldn't change. Natalie thought about reversing everything, going back to how she looked before, but she felt like that would just raise more questions from the Kincaids—if she could even do it right.

  She stepped away, about to leave the room, but stopped. Reluctantly, she grabbed out her thick green army jacket and threw that on too. One last glance around the room, and it looked like she hadn't been there at all.

  A soft knock at the door. Natalie slowly opened it, and found herself face-to-face with Quinn.

  "Hi."

  "Breakfast?" he asked.

  "Yes, please."

  He lead her down the hall into the living room, where his parents were waiting at the kitchen table, doling out pieces of french toast. A plate of still-sizzling bacon sat in the center, ready to go. Natalie felt another pang of nostalgia as she sat down, but brushed it away.

  "So Jenny," said Damian. "What're you drinking?"

  "Dear, please..." said Annette.

  "Orange juice?" said Natalie hesitantly.

  "Orange juice it is!"

  "Jenny, you just moved to Seattle, right?" prompted Annette, while her husband went into the kitchen.

  "Yeah. In June." Because Kendra wouldn't open a door for a whole month... "I was born in Chicago."

  Quinn raised his eyebrows, and Natalie remembered she hadn't told him that part. He didn't say anything though, thankfully.

  "Ah, so big cities are business as usual for you," said Damian, setting down a glass of bright yellow juice in front of her.

  "Not... not really." Natalie shook her head. "I haven't lived in a city in a long time."

  "She and her dad lived in a small town," said Quinn, jumping in. He's trying to get them off me, she realized. He doesn't even know how dangerous this topic is... "She was totally lost on her first day walking home."

  "Oh, you walked her home?" asked Damian, his eyes twinkling.

  Quinn's face got red. "Yeah, so? I was just being nice."

  "Of course. No other reason."

  "Would you stop teasing our son?" said Annette, exasperated.

  He called me his girlfriend... Is that what I wanted? I like Quinn a lot, but... I don't know.

  He told them without asking you.