B2: Chapter 28 - Staying in the Spotlight - II

Hailey followed Elissa back down to the street, and—with a bit more effort than she'd expected—lifted every single remaining box in one huge load. They hurried back upstairs, past a gawking tenant on the staircase who practically dove out of the way of the levitating pile of boxes.

  Elissa laughed. "That is so awesome."

  "Sorry I didn't tell you guys sooner," said Hailey, even while she swung the boxes around the corner. She was constantly feeling out the hallway ahead with bursts of wind, so she knew there wasn't anyone in the way. "But, you know—"

  "Well, duh," said Elissa. "Don't worry about it, Hales."

  "I'm just glad I don't have to go by Hailey Johnson anymore," she added, as Elissa hurried to open the apartment door. "I can't believe that's all I could come up with."

  "I was going to ask, what's up with the long names anyway?" Elissa moved out of the way while Hailey rearranged the boxes so they'd fit through the door in order. She hovered them through like a cardboard train, settling them in a neat pile in the empty space at the corner of Trevor's apartment. "You and your mom both have them."

  "Family tradition," she replied. "It goes back to my great-great-great-grandmother."

  "Were you like, nobility?"

  "No. I'm pretty sure we were dirt poor, actually." She grinned. "We just liked to sound important."

  "You're really her," Trevor muttered, still staring dumbfounded.

  Hailey shrugged. "The one and only." She glanced around the boxes of stuff. "You want help unpacking, Elissa? I'm not doing anything today."

  "You aren't?" she asked. "Aren't you like, super famous? It's Friday, I thought you'd have loads of stuff to do at a time like this."

  With how much my email's blowing up right now, I really wish I wasn't... Rupert glanced at her, obviously wondering the same thing. Hailey shook her head. "Today I'm just Hailey, and I'm hanging out with my friends."

  "That's how you beat me in arm wrestling!" Trevor exclaimed abruptly.

  Everyone looked at him. Elissa giggled. "Well, duh."

  "I want a fair rematch," he demanded.

  Hailey shook her head. "You'd still lose, man."

  "But—"

  She took a seat in the recliner near the window, near where Jessica had taken a spot in the corner, watching the people and the cars far below them. "Let's just have a day off, okay? It's been weeks, guys."

  "You've been busy," agreed Rupert, settling onto the couch next to her. "It's about time you had a real break."

  Elissa took a spot on the couch opposite, and after a few moments, Trevor sat down nearby. Hailey saw her shoot a glance toward him, and inch ever so slightly closer. She smiled. "So, how'd this happen? When I got the message from Rupert that you two were moving in together..."

  "Well, Piao's roommate was always leaving in November, and she never managed to find anyone else," said Trevor.

  "I tried," added Elissa. She kicked him in the knee gently. "But then I figured, Trevor needs a roommate too, and I hate my dorm anyway, so... why not?"

  "This is a pretty bad neighborhood though," said Hailey dubiously.

  "Forget that, though," said Trevor. He leaned forward slightly. "You're... you're... what's the word again?"