B2: Chapter 30 - Four Days Later - VI

Jeremy got away from the intense group before too long, making an excuse and slipping away, back across the room to Maddie. "Jesus, they're into some serious shit," he murmured.

  "What?"

  "Let's just say nobody better try to break into Cinza's house again." He shuddered. "What're you up to?"

  "Your turn to keep Courtney on a damn leash," said Maddie. Their sister was just outside the side door to the small building, visible through the window. She was talking on the phone to someone. "I've gotta figure out what's up with Laushire while I got the chance."

  "I'll keep her off you."

  Maddie grinned and kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks, bro."

  "Would you hurry up already? Damn."

  She scurried away, her face falling as soon as she passed out of the corner and into the main area of the church. Just like everyone, the moment the dark wooden casket at the front came into view, she remembered why they were there.

  Jeremy took a spot just at the edge of the wall where it turned in before the stage, where he could keep an eye on Courtney and still hear what Maddie was saying.

  "Miss Laushire?" she asked.

  Kendra looked up from her phone, vaguely irritated. On seeing Maddie, she got to her feet in an instant, her phone dropped into her purse. "Senator Ashe. I hadn't expected to see you here today."

  Maddie nodded. "I'm with my brother."

  "Ah, of course." Kendra glanced over at him, and Jeremy let his eyes drift away, as if he were just watching the room in general and not them in particular. "Please give Agent Ashe my regards."

  "Miss Laushire, if I may—"

  "I am not prepared to return to the world of the living quite yet, madam senator."

  Maddie paused for a moment. Jeremy hid his grin. She wasn't used to being treated so politely. Most of her constituents, when she did take meetings, were a lot more outspoken. "Actually, I was going to ask, what are you doing?"

  Kendra's eyes flashed slightly. "Working."

  Maddie nodded. "As Lily Wilmore."

  That got Kendra's attention. Her posture shifted just slightly. Defensive. Her eyes narrowed. "Madam senator, I'm not precisely certain to what you refer."

  "You're doing a lot of business in my state, and my colleagues from Oregon were able to supply me with similar information." Jeremy couldn't see Maddie's face from his angle, but he could imagine the slight smirk on her face. "So, Lady Wilmore, let's skip the bullshit and get to the point, all right?"

  Kendra frowned. Her eyes flicked over to Jeremy, who didn't pretend to be looking anywhere else this time. He wasn't sure what Maddie was up to, but he trusted she had a plan. Meanwhile, with Courtney still out of the building, they didn't have to worry about interference.

  "You're building an empire," Maddie stated.

  The woman's mouth twitched slightly—the most emotion Jeremy had seen out of her all day. "It's an unfortunate habit of my homeland."

  "But you're a Laushire. You're already the richest fuck in the whole world."

  Kendra raised her eyebrows. "I believe you refer to my father."

  "So what?"

  "I'm quite certain I won't be receiving much of an inheritance."

  "What'd you do, piss in his breakfast?"

  Kendra frowned. "I don't think that's necessary."

  "Well, people always said I had the worst mouth they'd ever heard on a member of Congress. No idea what the fuck they were smoking to miss the other ninety-nine assholes, but it never slowed me down."

  "Are we finished?"

  Maddie shook her head. "What's your endgame? You've pulled together a shit-ton of capital in four months, and nothing's come out of it yet. You've been upending major power brokers. Even the multinationals are getting into it. You know your father is looking into an acquisition?"

  Kendra smirked again, but unlike before, it was actually quite visible. "I may have seen a memo."

  "I'm on your side here. I can be your voice in Congress. But you gotta tell me what I'm doing out there. I want to help this go smoothly. Without any more car chases or collapsing houses or exploding towns. Work with me."

  "...What are you proposing?"

  "You need fast-tracked approval for your company mergers and acquisitions, you need the FTC off your back, you need more room to maneuver. You need influence you can't get from the shadows. I got that in spades. I don't sit on the committee, but I can lean on whoever you need leaned on."

  "From a second-term senator with the lowest campaign fundraising in state history?"

  Maddie nodded. "I'm not tied to a single damn lobbyist. I actually believe in the system, screwed up as it is."

  "But you want to tie yourself... to me."

  "Not a fuckin' chance."

  Kendra raised an eyebrow, waiting patiently.

  "I want to work with you. Said it before, say it again. So tell me what you're tryin' to do. I'm guessing it's something to help these people, help your people. And if it helps the rest of the world in the process, all the better. So tell me. If I'm right, then I'm on board."

  "You are not incorrect." She hesitated. "And this past week has raised obstacles. I... might be amenable."

  Maddie nodded again. "All I'm askin'." She dug a business card out of her bag and handed it over. "Give me a call. Let's have lunch sometime."

  Kendra took it with a nod and a slight smile. She didn't say another word though, taking her seat again, while Maddie hurried back to join Jeremy.

  "Jesus, it's like talking to a brick wall," she muttered.

  "That bad?"

  "Fuckin' British people." Maddie sighed. "I was sure bringin' up her secret identity would set off some alarm bells."

  "But she agreed to lunch, didn't she?"

  "Fuck if I know. Oh, God, not now."

  Courtney had returned, pocketing her phone. She looked relieved. Can't be good, if Courtney's happy about it. "That was the Tacoma chief of police. I've got them to send our would-be bank-robber into our custody pending further investigation."

  Hey, some good fuckin' news. "Thank God," he muttered.

  "What?" asked Maddie.

  "The awakened guy who tried to blow up a bank vault Monday before last. Courtney's been making sure he doesn't end up on the news."

  "Shit, I forgot about him..." Maddie groaned. "Way too much to deal with. I need a drink."

  "Get me one too," Jeremy called after her. As she left, Jeremy noticed someone he hadn't earlier.

  He rubbed at his eyes. Is that... Meg fuckin' Bensen? What the fuck?