B2: Chapter 25 - Confidential Public Relations - I

"To those who seek to awaken I say: welcome, you madmen! You know not what it is you seek, but you are brave enough to take a plunge that could be fatal. We trust in our goddess to save us, but she was once human. Humans are fallible, fickle creatures responsible for more pain and torment than could be imagined. It is an eternal badge of shame that I identify myself as one, but we need not suffer an eternity.

  At the risk of plagiarism, only through her can we be saved. Do not mistake this for religion. I do not believe in any power beyond that which I control myself every day. I am merely witness to her miracles and messenger of her power.

  Which, of course, is claiming myself a prophet when I repeat this aloud. When did I become so spiritual? I've embraced my own worst nightmare... This entry will be finished later. I need to spend time with Ruby and get my thoughts in order."

  ~Cinza, the Rallsburg Diaries

  "I think she did okay," said Jonathan, sitting on the edge of the bed.

  The TV had changed to a generic "stand-by" message, with a text crawl stating that the broadcast had been shut down by order of the New York City mayor's office. Jeremy had only been giving it half his attention, focused on the camera feeds on his laptop.

  "Why'd they shut down?" he asked, glancing over.

  "Dunno. Maybe they thought Russ was being a dick."

  "Can you rewind?"

  He shrugged. "It was live."

  Jeremy kept watching the feed of the dingy motel walkway, bored out of his mind. "You're sure it was the guy from before following you."

  "Yeah. He saw me, and he saw me get in my car and drive this way."

  Fuck, what I wouldn't give for a proper surveillance squad right now. Jeremy only had the support of a few volunteer officers from the Tacoma P.D, recently reinstated thanks to a call from the FBI director's office. He wished he'd been there to see the look on Aderholt's face when Hailey flew right through the front door of the station, her lawyer in tow.

  Unfortunately, they weren't so forgiving to their own.

  Figures. Big difference between filin' legitimate reports that sound crazy, and actually actin' crazy and insubordinate. Jeremy didn't care, so long as they maintained this level of mutual ignorance. He'd rather they let him do what he liked than have to fight through layers of bureaucracy to get anything done.

  "Am I gonna be okay?" Jonathan asked, voice shaky. "I'm scared as hell, man."

  Jeremy picked up the handheld radio on the table next to his laptop. "Stebbins, check in."

  "This is Stebbins. All green. Over," replied the voice of the ex-military officer Jeremy had met back at the bar standoff. Seeing his name on the list of volunteers was a relief—both that he'd been reinstated, and that he was still willing to lend an experienced hand to Jeremy. The other two officers also reported green, which left them once again sitting idle.

  "Don't you have schoolwork or some shit to do?" Jeremy asked, glancing over at the pacing kid. "They got it for you from your teachers."

  "Yeah. Yeah. I'll do that." Jonathan paused. "Thanks again. For, you know. Protecting me."