B2: Chapter 32 - Paranoia - IV

Natalie and Kelsey, along with four other girls, faced off against Blake and her hand-picked five. Lydia had somehow managed to persuade the teacher to let her sit out, but everyone else was in it, and eager. Natalie wasn't so sure—the only dodgeball she'd ever seen was on TV, or a couple games with Rallsburg college kids that got really intense. She wasn't allowed to ever join in those games... and after watching one, she didn't want to.

  This is my age though. It'll be fine.

  Don't get hit.

  Thanks for the obvious...

  She tensed up at the far end of the line, hands planted on the wood gym floor. Her eyes were locked onto nearest ball. Blake was facing off against Kelsey at the other end. They were all waiting for the teacher to blow the whistle, but he was busy helping out some other kid way on the opposite end of the gym.

  "Hey Jenny," Blake called from clear across the court, just loud enough for Natalie to hear. "I heard you're in trouble with the principal. Guess the school finally figured out you don't belong here."

  "They let you in," said Kelsey. "Shows how shitty this place is."

  "Nobody asked you, lesbian!"

  "Me?" said Kelsey in a mocking tone. "That's so kind! But I'm not nearly cool enough."

  "That was an insult, you idiot," said one of Blake's teammates.

  Kelsey laughed. "In what stupid universe?"

  Just ignore them. I can get them to shut up with a ball. As soon as that whistle blows...

  "Besides, if anyone around here's got a crush, I mean..." Kelsey glanced between the two of them. "Blake, are you sure you aren't in love with Jenny?"

  "Shut up," said Blake.

  "You just seem so obsessed with her!"

  Huh... maybe that's it. I have no idea why she hates me so much...

  That isn't love. You shouldn't concern yourself with her feelings.

  Yeah, but maybe I just don't understa—

  "Shut up!" Blake screeched. She bolted forward toward their ball.

  Kelsey reacted a split-second later, sprinting just as fast. The whistle hadn't blown yet, but nobody cared. Natalie blitzed for her own ball, and the rest of her team followed. Blake's side was a bit slower, but they were in the game. Kelsey dove, skidding across the floor. Blake did the same.

  A loud smack echoed through the gym.

  "Screw you, bitch," Kelsey grunted. She rolled off the court. Blake glared at Kelsey's every step, no triumph in her eyes—only hatred.

  Natalie snatched up her own ball. She flung it sideways at Blake, but the girl was too smart for that. She'd already backed away, and Natalie's ball bounced harmlessly off of the wall. Natalie hurried back to the edge of the court, ducking a couple throws from Blake's team.

  They were really in it now. The teacher was shouting something, but nobody on their court cared anymore. Natalie snatched a ball up and twisted around in place. She chucked it and got a satisfying thunk as it slammed into the nearest girl, sending her off the court. A split-second later, Natalie had to dive to the ground, just underneath the next throw. Her enhanced reflexes and senses helped her see it coming, and move right out of the way—and into the path of the next throw.