B2: Chapter 35 - The Court of Public Opinion - I

"The mundane will never coexist with the awakened. I do not mean to sound the pessimist, but the non-magical people simply cannot comprehend the paradigm shift that took place in the shadows of their world. They will adapt and awaken, or they will perish. There is no middle ground.

  Let me be clear: I advocate for no violent uprising, no revolution. The dawn of the world need not be bloody. I would welcome anyone who seeks to awaken. No, I trust that the bloodshed will make itself plain as soon as we emerge. There will always be those who resist change, and resistance will always increase with the rate of such change.

  We represent a complete overthrow of all human understanding, the beginning of a new world order, so I wonder—how many will survive the transition?"

  ~Cinza, the Rallsburg Diaries

  Riley twisted around, pistol rising—but Hailey flung her hand out, and the gun ripped itself out of Riley's hand. Hailey caught it out of mid-air, her hair fluttering behind her as she glared down into the room from atop the rubble of her makeshift entrance.

  Disarmed, Riley took a few steps back, raising her hands. "I have insurance," she repeated, but suddenly her tone wasn't quite so confident. "You cannot ha—"

  Hailey burst into motion. She launched off of the little plinth of broken concrete straight through the small room, a gust of wind accompanying her short flight. Her foot slammed into Riley's chest, knocking her to the floor in a gasping heap.

  "That's from Alden," Hailey growled.

  "The fuck?" said Jeremy. Seeing the opening, Cinza hurried forward to untie Lily, while Riley lay heaving on the stone floor. "Hailey, what the hell are you doing here?"

  "Trying to find her," said Hailey, nodding at Riley. "I've never met Malton, and her essence was easier to track than Viper's."

  "Nikki taught you... of course she did," said Cinza, shaking her head in dismay. She helped Lily to her feet, both shaking a little. Makoto quickly moved to support the pair, since the height disparity between the two made Cinza's efforts mostly useless.

  Lani finally snapped out of his stupor and rushed over to Riley, holding his own gun to her head. "Who are you, Riley?" he asked, his voice cracking with emotion.

  Jeremy winced. He'd never heard someone sound so defeated. Riley stared back up at him without a word.

  Hailey shook her head. "Her name's not Riley. It's not 'Rook', either, but that's a codename she goes by. Her name is Tessa."

  "...Tessa?" asked Lani, glancing back down at her.

  Riley shook her head. "Another given name."

  "So what the fuck should we call you?" asked Jeremy.

  "Rook will do."

  "Sounds good." Jeremy cleared his throat. "Rook, I swear to God, you're gonna be locked up so deep they won't discover you for a hundred thousand fuckin' years."

  "And you will put your friends in danger," Rook shot back, unperturbed.

  Hailey glanced up at Jeremy. "What does she mean?"

  "She has blackmail with a lawyer," said Cinza. "Details about the Greywood... and about our youngest friend."

  "...You wouldn't," said Hailey, whipping back around to Rook. "She's thirteen! She's just a kid!"